iMovie '06: Isolating Music?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NJRonbo, Sep 12, 2007.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

I have made my first DVD project using iMovie.

The program is pretty straight-forward, but the most difficulty
    I have had is with adding music.

The footage is a helicopter ride, so the sound inside the craft is
    pretty loud.

I can add music, but it is somewhat drowned out by the helicopter noise.

There are check buttons to the right of the DROP CLIPS HERE grid
    that allow you to isolate music, but none of that is transferred to the
    actual final product.

Is there a way I can cut the main footage soundtrack and just have
    music playing over it?

Thanks in advance!

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

In the timeline view, where you added the music to the second or third track, there should be a line running through the middle, or just above the middle, of each track. This is the volume indicator bar, and if you click on it at any point you can change the volume up or down from that point on in the track. You click again somewhere else and adjust the volume again from that point in the bar.

If you don't see this line, then you need to right click the track, and there is an option somewhere that says something like 'show volume bar' or something to that affect.

Once you get it up there, start at the beginning of the video track, and reduce the volume to the bottom. This will eliminate the Chopper noise, and then save the project. Share it to iDVD or Quicktime or whatever, and it will be just as you set it.

Brian

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

You can also hit Apple key + T to separate the movie clip's sound track from the video track. Then you can delete it completely if you wish.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you select and highlight your clip, you can modify the audio level through the pull down menu on the bottom. The default is 100%, but you can easily turn it down to 0 or anything in between.

If you want to reduce audio level for only some parts of your clip, then select and highlight your clip. "View" menu has "Show Audio Level" or something like that. It draws a line across the audio to indicate the level audio. You can click on that line and pull it up or down to fade in and out portions of your audio. You can even go to View -> Show Audio Waveforms so that you can visually "see" where the loud and quiet parts of your audio may be. Through "Advanced" menu you can find Extract Audio Waveform option. You can then delete or shift your audio track.