iMovie '06 : Where, how to get?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MagentaLoyal, Dec 26, 2010.

1. MagentaLoyal macrumors newbie

MagentaLoyal

Hello all, 1st time poster here.

Let me begin by saying that I'm new to the iMovie package in general. I have recently been importing my "old" Hi8 video tapes using iMovie '08. Just as I was about to start doing some editing with it, I realized why its behavior seemed odd. Yup, '08 is the version that had been slammed by users and critics alike. As a result, I burned up our merchandise credits at the local big box electronics store to get iLife '11 (and thus the new version of iMovie).

Here's the rub:
    I've been given to understand that iMovie '11 contains a lot of the functionality that _HAD_ been in iMovie '06, but that there are still a lot of features in '06 that never made it back into iMovie, including the '11 version.

So here I am, looking at the eBay prices for iLife '06.
    First I'm wondering if it's worth the nearly full price they're asking, and then
    I'm wondering if there are other, legal and legally-questionable, methods to get iMovie '06.

(I said legally questionable because I do legitimately own the '08 version, and ONCE UPON A TIME,
    '08 owners could download the '06 version. Unfortunately, those days are now gone.) ​

Can any of you provide some advise on the matter?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

For a while after Apple release iLife 08, you could download iMovie HD (06) for free from their site. They removed the download about a year ago. That would have been the best thing to do.

3. MagentaLoyal thread starter macrumors newbie

MagentaLoyal

Ya. I know it would have been, but that was then, this is now.
    Do you, or anyone else, have an alternate suggestion for the here and now?

4. Capt Underpants, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Post a wanted ad on Craigslist. Someone will take $10 for it.

Either that, or torrent it. I see no moral issue with this course of action.

5. MagentaLoyal, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010

MagentaLoyal thread starter macrumors newbie

MagentaLoyal

I'll try that. I can't say I'm too hopeful however, we'll see.