imovie 06 won't play--image freezes up

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dscw133, Jun 10, 2010.

1. dscw133 macrumors newbie

I am using imovie 06; when I try to play anything (clip or movie I've edited), it is slow to start, and then only plays a second until the image (and sound) freezes while the arrow/cursor continues to move right. i have searched everywhere online; here's what i've done to try and fix thus far (nothing's worked):
    -Deleted high-gig clips from project.
    -Exported my movie as both a DV Stream and "high quality" video and re-imported as 1 movie, thereby eliminating all the edits
    -Deleted extra audio .mov clips
    -Saved as a new movie
    -Connected all my external hard drives, in case project was still looking for something somewhere else.
    -Trashed my imovie preferences from my library; read that these would be re-created when I emptied, restarted computer, and imovie--failed. now have no preferences.
    -Moved project out of subfile to bigger file.
    -Got rid of 20 gb of stuff from my main hard drive to clear space.

That's all the suggestions I could find online. Nothing's worked. This is a problem not only with this project, but others, as well, it seems. Nothing plays. It all played fine 2 weeks ago before I started this project. My project is on an external hard drive, connected to a laptop. I have transferred the project, and some of the clips, from one hard drive to another and back again. All hard drives are connected.

HELP, someone please. I've been working on this every spare hour for the past 10 days, and I'm beyond fed up. And, no, I won't get a new computer or upgrade to more recent imovie, so please don't suggest that. Thank-you!

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Specify which laptop you have. How much ram do you have? Have you looked at activity monitor to check your page INS/outs? It sound like something is running in the background and eating up processing power. Have you tried deleting iMovie 6 and reinstalling? Are you using any 3rd party plugins? I use iMovie 6 all the time and don't recall that bad of a problem. BTW, how old is the laptop? Could the hard drive be going out?