iMovie 06

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by migulic, Jun 20, 2008.

1. migulic macrumors member

I started using iMovie HD '06 to edit some home movies lately, after using iMovie '08 for some time. It's great - I prefer it to '08 - but one thing I liked about the new iMovie was that the actual video files and the project files were split (the video files were in iMovie Events and the edits were in iMovie Projects). That way I could keep the video files on an external hard drive and the project files on my internal HD.

Why do I want to do that? My internal HD is backed up (Carbon Copy Cloner every week or so) to a partition of my external HD (the external is 500 GB, partitioned into 300 GB/200 GB - 300 GB as backup of the internal, where I keep all my data and 200 GB as the scratch disk for iMovie). I don't bother backing up the other partition since all that I keep there are the original, unedited movie files - and I still have them all on tape, so should my hard drive fail, I can always import them again. That way I have a backup of everything, without using up too much space on my internal - a backup of the editing (the project files I keep on the internal HD) on the external and a backup of the footage on tape.

Now my question is, is it also possible with iMovie '06 to split the project files into the footage - which I would keep on the external - and the actual editing, which would stay on the internal? Otherwise I would need to go back to '08, which would mean losing a lot of functionality and video quality.

Thanks a lot.

2. migulic thread starter macrumors member

No one? I just want to know whether it's possible to split the footage and the project files in iMovie '06.

3. migulic thread starter macrumors member

Does no one really know the answer to this question?