Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Ok so i have iMovie '08 on my iMac and i love it the problem is when i am away from my desk i use a MacBook but it has iMovie '06 on it and i have know idea how to cut out clips of a clip (like how u can drag the yellow box in '08) all i can do is move a whole clip to the project box. Please help. i am usually good with this stuff but this one is impossible (am i missing something obvious)

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Ok so i have iMovie '08 on my iMac and i love it the problem is when i am away from my desk i use a MacBook but it has iMovie '06 on it and i have know idea how to cut out clips of a clip (like how u can drag the yellow box in '08) all i can do is move a whole clip to the project box. Please help. i am usually good with this stuff but this one is impossible (am i missing something obvious)

Before you drag the clip anywhere, click it in the clip viewer at the top. Look at the window at the left- just below the bar under the window, you will see two triangles at the far left. Drag the right one to the position you want the clip to end, then the left one to the position you want it to start (the "kept section will turn yellow in the bar), then choose "Crop" from the "Edit" menu (or just use or Command+K) and it will be trimmed.

For clearer instructions perhaps, simply look up crop in the help menu of the application.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Personally, I'd use Command-T.

Position the playhead at the starting point of what you want to cut. Hit ⌘T on the keyboard, which will split the clip. Then forward to the next point you want cut, and hit ⌘T again.

Think of it this way. You have a clip that is five seconds long. You only want seconds 02:00 though 04:00. Position the playhead at 02:00, hit ⌘T. Then go to 04:00 and hit ⌘T. Volia, the middle section is cut and you have your clip.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
thanks but one more question......how do u use 2 parts of a say 10 second clip like:

i want seconds 2 -4 and 8-10

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
thanks but one more question......how do u use 2 parts of a say 10 second clip like:

i want seconds 2 -4 and 8-10

Using the command+T method the previous poster described. Using that method will wind up cutting into 4 or 5 chunks (see below). Using your example:

• Chunk 1 will be seconds 0-1
• Chunk 2 will be seconds 2-4 (for use)
• Chunk 3 will be seconds 5-7
• Chunk 4 will be seconds 8-10 (for use)
• Chunk 5 (if clip is longer than 10 seconds) will be seconds 11-end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.