iMovie 08 and Ken Burns

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Foggy, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I have just upgraded to iLife 08 and generally speaking am pretty happy with it. The only thing I am miffed at is that I use the Ken Burns effect quite a lot in my movies to add in photos and in iMovie HD I used to be able to zoom out with the Ken Burns effect and if the photo didnt fit it would just add black borders to fill the screen and I can't work out how to do this in 08. It seems to want to force the selected section to be within the constraints of the photo size, which means I cant add a portrait oriented photo to a movie without chopping off the top and bottom.

Anyone know how to get round this?

Cheers.

2. drumaero macrumors newbie

Anyone figure this out?

I have the same question and am wondering if anyone has an answer to this one.

3. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

a lot of things were taken out of imovie '08...
    if you end up really disliking imovie '08, i'm pretty sure you can downgrade to iMovie 6. apple admitted defeat and lets purchasers of the new ilife downgrade to the more powerful iMovie (6).
    sorry i don't have another solution.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Apple didn't admit defeat, HD was available for download from the introduction of '08. Apple knew from the beginning that there would be complaints about the lack of features in the new iMovie, they also said that they would be adding features back to the new iMovie. I for one am glad they got rid of all of those ridiculous transitions and effects, although I do miss a couple. iMovie was quickly becoming the redhaired step child of iLife and I'm glad Apple did an overhaul. Destructive editing is a joke. If you want a timeline editor you need to upgrade to Final Cut Express. If you want a quick easy way to throw a movie together then use iMovie '08. I do a ridiculous amount of video editing and I switch off between iMovie '08 and Final Cut Express and have yet to find a time that I need iMovie '06, or would rather use iMovie '06. It was a good program when I started off, but as soon as I discovered Final Cut I dropped it, then when iMovie '08 came out I started to use that every once in a while for throwing a demo story together or just making a music video montage.