Imovie '08 and Sony HDR-TG3E

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Netloser, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Netloser macrumors newbie

Please please help
    I have imovie '08 version 7.1.4 (585) operating on OSX 10.5.6 (2008 iMac Intel 2.4Mhz). I bought the Sony HDR-TG3E and am at my wits end. Imovie will not see it. I think I must be doing something fundamentally wrong but have no idea what.
    I plug the camera in the USB port swithch it on and select USB connect. It then opens iphoto even though I have removed all stills. I have tried importing manually but it greys out all AVCHD folders and their contents.
    I took it to the apple store but they had no idea either.
    However many people on this, and the apple forums, say the 2 work great together.
    I am not totally computer illiterate but also no expert. I have tried the set up on a mates PC with the Sony software to check for hardware faults and it works fine.
    Any suggestions would be very very much appreciated
    Thanks

2. Netloser thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish it had.
    It just will not allow me to import into imovie.
    I did as the guide said with his demo and also with a .dmg of my movie and all it did was open iphoto. Same as when I connect the camera.
    Just what have I done wrong? Also tried it on my macbook so it's not the computer.
    Help!!

3. Netloser thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I got the demo to work, thanks but still cannot see the movies on my TG3.
    The files and folders are the same as the demo the only difference is the number of clips, is there a limit?

Please can someone take me through an idiot proof check??

Thanks

4. aulds macrumors newbie

Have you managed to get anywhere with this?

I have the same camcorder with imovie 08 on an intel macbook pro.

I have managed to get some footage recorded at the highest quality with surround sound into imovie, but can't remember what I did & couldn't get it to go again :confused:

I think I had imovie open at the time then plugged in the usb & selected usb on the camera. iMovie then did it's thing as far as I can recall.

When I tried this again all that happened was that iPhoto opened even though there was no photo's on the memory card and new video files added to the memory card. :mad:

If I try selecting to import from camera - all that I get the option of is to capture from the isight camera - the TG3 is not recognised.

I will have another play when I get the chance, but any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

5. Netloser thread starter macrumors newbie

Camera is back at the shop. They have not got anywhere yet and the mac expert is off today Wed.
    I have had a lot of help from AVforums the link in post 2 but still got nowhere.
    If you try their tips and it works, do let me know.

Possible conflicts are:
    Stills on card
    SD footage on card
    Too many clips on card
    Camera faulty!
    I will report back tomorrow evening.

6. psendeavor macrumors newbie

But they do... My TG3 works perfect with both iMovie '09 and FCE. Didn't do anything differently than you, as far as I can tell

7. Netloser thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved. Looks like I've lost my movies but the memory stick is at fault. Some corruption is stopping it working. I've checked the files inside and it looks identical to the new one but just will not work. The only difference is the number of clips. Is there a limit?

aulds
    Sounds like you have the same problem. If you can , format the card or try another and format it first. Your procedure is correct:
    Connect the camera, start iMovie, start the camera and select USB Connect. If that doesn't work something is wrong!

8. aulds macrumors newbie

Only card I have is the one that came with it.

Not had a chance to play due to being away for work, so hopefully in the next week or so.

Looking to upgrade to iLife '09 anyway - might make things easier.

I did format the card when I got it but might try reformatting. Strange that I did manage to get a couple of video files off it, but can't get the additional video.

Find out soon enough.

Cheers.