iMovie 08 and Sony HDR-UX1

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 2Cheap2Switch, Oct 2, 2007.

1. 2Cheap2Switch macrumors member

I was so happy to hear that imovie would support the avchd format. However, imovie still does not support my camera. I tried creating a disk image of the dvd, hoping that imovie would think the disk image was a hard drive based camera. However when I opened iMovie I got a message saying that os x.4 does not support dvd based High definition cameras. Does anyone know any other workarounds to try?

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

You Can Start By Calling It By It's Correct Number 7.1 Not 08

It's iMovie 7.1 not 08. DVD HD is an Oxymoron. Ain't no such thing. What you mean is it's an AVCHD camera that writes AVCHD files to a DVD. Unfortunately you will need to rework that code with something weird like ShapeShifter. ;)

But seriously, you're gonna need a transcoder to take the analog output from your camera into the Mac like DV. Do you have a DV Camera that can pass through transcodes?

3. 2Cheap2Switch thread starter macrumors member

4. rfb macrumors member

Need help with this as well!

I too was glad to see that iLife 08 would work with AVCHD, so I bought a new computer (my old one would not support '08.) Now I find out that it does not support AVCHD DVD. I am sooo frustrated that I would like to throw this very expensive camera through a window. Is there any way to convert the mini DVDs to something iMovie will read???

5. bmix macrumors newbie

HDR-UX1 Import Process

This is not HD quality, but it works to get video from the HDR-UX1 into iMovie/QT.

Finalize your disc on the camera. Download Handbrake to rip the DVD to MP4 format with settings that you approve of.

6. stuartml macrumors newbie

Update

Incase this helps anyone out there with a Sony HDR-UX1, it only took me all weekend of searching and nobody told me that this needs to be done!

!!! DONT FORGET TO FINALIZE THE DVD !!!

Finalizing the DVD (i presume) adds some info on the disc that will allow the mac (and iMovie '08) to be able to read the minidvd. (it also stops any more data from being written to the DVD.)

-To finalize the DVD put in the DVD to the camcorder, then look for an Icon that has a "disc" and "storage" looking thing on it. This will be options for the disc or the sd.

-Choose finalize dvd, wait for it to finish, don't bump it

-Once its finished, unplug and plugin the USB, a dialog should pop-up asking if you'd like to open iMovie, from there you can import the video.

-Be glad I posted this to save you the hours of searching, you're welcome.