iMovie '08: Can't export mini dv footage to "Large" to use with iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jolton, Aug 23, 2007.

1. jolton macrumors member

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help shed some light on what my problem might be.

I import video from my mini dv cam into iMovie '08 (I've imported it as both large and HD formats-just to test it). I arrange my clips in my project...

When I click on Share->Media Browser->...the option to export as "large" is grey'd out. Without being able to export using this option, I can not use the project in iDVD '08 to create a dvd.

Anyone else have this problem or know what exactly is the cause?

2. Ghibli macrumors regular

According to many threads on the Apple discussion boards, seems that the dv resolution (lines) is below the one needed for imovie to allow the large output setting.

And according to many other threads (also on Apple) all the tests done to produce a good dvd starting with a dv stream have been disastrous. Seems that iMovie 08 doesn't support natively the editing of dv streams (as all other imovie versions did), but converts it in something different (what codec is employed is not clear). Results are really better if you use imovie 06 or (someone reported) if you convert the dv stream in h264 first using quicktime pro and then import it in imovie 08 and edit that. But in this case dvd burn results are still unknown (untested yet).

Just one more defect in iClip 0.1 Beta.

3. jolton thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your response.

I was afraid of something like this. This makes no sense that apple would do this. What were they thinking??

So basically anyone out there (and I'm sure there are TONS of people) who have a dv camcorder are SOL when it comes to wanting to create a dvd! :eek::(

4. Ghibli macrumors regular

Steve Jobs this time seems to think that noone wants to use dvds.. I think this time Steve is blatantly wrong, but this seems the way.

You can try giving feedback to apple (from the imovie menu) and take iClip 0.1 beta and trow it to the trash can. Then download iMovie hd 06 and use that for the time being.

For added you can keep your fingers crossed in the hope that Apple revises its stances (but I would not hold my breath awaiting).

What a pity of downgrade.

By the way... in iClip 0.1 beta (AKA iMovie 08) you also cannot revert you movies back to tape, in case you have a dv in digital camcorder...

5. nkochanowski macrumors newbie

iMovie '08 is not as bad as many make it sound, but it definitely has some big flaws in the ease of use department.

To enable your movie to export in Large, add a title at the very end of your movie (Try scrolling credits or something like that). Erase the on screen title but keep the four second over black clip.
    For some reason this will allow you to export in Large format - I have used this several times with my DV footage and it works great.

Hopefully Steve will get enough feedback about the Share to iDVD option, that was a really stupid omission on his part.

Also check out Aaron's blog: http://imovie08.blogspot.com/
    This is a great site for using iMovie '08, it reveals a bunch of tricks and workarounds that make it a much friendlier and more understandable program.