iMovie '08: Change an Event's Date?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kepardue, Aug 10, 2007.

1. kepardue macrumors 6502

Any way to change the date of an event in iMovie 08? I don't want the clips that I'm importing now to automatically take on the date they were imported, but rather the date they were filmed.

Especially since I've got some old home movie from 1999 that I imported earlier this year. That shouldn't be listed under 2007.

2. JjP macrumors newbie

You will need to use "touch" Terminal command. iMovie '08 takes the date of the file on the disk and from that determines the date in its library. Go to the event where it is stored and do touch on the .dv file. It looks exactly the same as in the very first iPhoto where you couldn't change the date of analog photos taken from scan. I guess it might be corrected in update. I think about writing some AppleScript to help with "touching" video clips to make their date changed.

3. JjP macrumors newbie

Step by step:
    1. Open Terminal
    2. Put the command below (with appropriate date in format MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm):
    /Developer/Tools/SetFile -d "12/25/2002 15:34"
    3. Drag the .dv file on the and of the command above
    4. Hit Return

It worked for me. It is a manual proces though :-(

4. quasar720 macrumors member

quasar720

I was having a strange problem where iMovie 08 was labeling portions of the video that I imported as events occurring during 2015 and 2021. It made my Event Library really messy and I still don't know why it will decide certain pieces of the tape are from literally decades away. Segments before and after these are labeled correctly as 2007 and I have double-verified my camera's date and time settings.

I thought that I would just have to deal with it but then as a last ditch effort I decided to go take a look at the file names. When I looked in my Movies folder under 'iMovie Events' I was able to find each individual file and they were named things like 'clip-2021-05-28 16;28;08.dv.' I tried changing the name to 'clip-2007...' and lo and behold it worked! I had to quit iMovie but when I restarted the app, all my movie events were correctly placed under 2007. I imagine if you do this renaming with your older movies, it should have the same effect. Seems a bit more efficient than the Terminal code and I bet you could even tell Automator to do it for you...

5. jlinny macrumors newbie

I am having problems with my movies in my Event Library being out of order as well. I followed the above advice and checked out all of the clips but they looked as though they had the correct year (when it was filmed). Is there any other reason they could be put in 2007 when it was filmed in 2005? I noticed this is an older post. Has there been a fix for this?

Thanks!

6. sting019 macrumors newbie