iMovie '08 effects - missing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBook2PowerBook, Apr 28, 2008.

1. iBook2PowerBook macrumors newbie

iBook2PowerBook

Hi, I just got a new MacBook Pro, and it has iLife '08 which I have been anticipating to use.

While I had to run Software Update and download the first update for it available to get iMovie to work, I love all the 500-600 sound effects. But, what happened to the video effects? Am I just not able to find them, or did Apple not include any?

I have iLife '04 on my iMac G3 and the iMovie that's installed has video effects like "earthquake" and "mirror" and such, but iMovie '08 doesn't have any from what I can find.

Can someone explain this to me, I was really looking forward to editing home movies and it'd be nice to do it with visual effects :)

Thanks in advance.

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

They were removed from iLife '08

With the uproar that this was a downgrade in product functionality, Apple posted iMovie '06 HD (which has all the video effects) as a free download for iMovie '08 users.

You can get it from the Apple site.

3. iBook2PowerBook thread starter macrumors newbie

iBook2PowerBook

Hmm. I wonder why they removed them :confused:

But thanks for the help, is there any sort of number I'll need, like my MBP's serial number or a number somewhere about my iLife install?

EDIT: downloading now, but my downloads for my "HughesNet highspeed" are superslow, around 10kb/s...so this will be a while :(

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I dont know why they screwed with iMovie. It was so good (for what it was) the way it was. Why they had to back pedal and make it worse beats me. I do like the new look of '08 but they should have kept everything that '06 had. Oh well, we'll see what next years looks like.

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

They rebuilt a better engine for 08, but left out a lot of the features 06 had.

I presume they will add back in a lot of the functionality that 08 lost from the complete re-write as there are new iLife revisions.

OR, they might have done it intentionally to get more budding film makers to upgrade to Final Cut Express. But if that was the case, I don't know why they capitulated and made iMovie 06 available.

However, iMovie 08 is really awesome, it is just missing all the gimmicky eye candy from 06. To quickly make a youtube worthy or family DVD worthy movie, it is amazingly fast and easy. I love the interface, but hope they beef it up with some more horsepower.

Awesome framework, now add more guts.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I didn't need to do anything. It may check for iMovie '08 but not sure.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

there's the download link.

Good luck!

7. iBook2PowerBook thread starter macrumors newbie

iBook2PowerBook

Thanks, I had to restart the download an hour ago since my MBP shut off during the night after I left it.

I agree with the other posts, they shouldn't have taken it away. I think there should be an update that integrates the video effects into the iMovie '08 console, at least that's what I'm hoping for.

So what's the point of having 2 iMovies? I really don't look forward to switching back and forth between the two. Actually, I like the interface of the older versions better since I'm more used to them. Maybe I can just pull the new sound effects and place them with the ones existing in iMovie '06 HD.

Just as soon as it downloads :(

8. Chris204 macrumors regular

Installing iMovie '06 won't overwrite or replace any iMovie '08 projects or the program itself, will it?

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

No it will not.

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Yes Telp is correct. It has its OWN set of project libraries and clips.

I recently used 06 for some video effects and the movie came out quite well. I basically exported some clips from 08, imported them into 06 then exported and imported into 08.

I'm sure there's an easier way but this worked for my needs. I built the final movie in 08 and I'll post a link when it's done. It's a mothers day present to my wife.