iMovie 08 first experience a bit sour

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by adamzx3, Nov 28, 2007.

1. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

I have little video experience and used iMovie 7 for the first time this week and was severely disappointed with how things work. I think I was expecting it to be more like final cut express but found the whole workflow unintuitive. I find premiere pro to be much more intuitive than this....am I giving this thing a fair shake? maybe i'm doing something wrong?? I am about to trash it...seems like a waste of 117mb.

I had about 15min of video I wanted to edit and combine into a single clip...sounds easy enough. So I had 4 movie clips...wont open mpeg or avi's so back to quicktime to transcode to a lossless .mov. Now I have all my .mov clips and import them to find that I have a mangled mess of thumbnails. Now I cant move them, delete them or cut and paste them into a different spot. There yellow selection thing is way confusing at first, I just wanted to drag in the ends to trim them up, all I can figure to do is select the unwanted video and hit reject selection.....maybe there's and easy way to do this but not on par with idvd or iWeb...their almost automatic. I will be getting broadband next week so I can then get the tutorials i guess.

Also I need to edit the audio and cut out the background hum....past the scope of iMovie I would only assume.

*end rand* :)

2. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

You can download the previous version for free, most people find it far better. The new version is dumbed down alot.

3. adamzx3 thread starter macrumors regular

adamzx3

Thanks Steve i'll try that out, when I get my HD camcorder I will defiantly spring for the student Final Cut 2 package.