iMovie '08 keeps crashing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by charlestrippy, Aug 8, 2007.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

Hey,
    So I just got iLife 08 and I am upgrading from, I guess it's 06 (came on my mbp c2d) -
    anyway, I upgraded iweb, imovie and iphoto -

iphoto and iweb seem to have upgraded and it seems imovie did too BUT when I try and open imovie it keeps crashing...
    I looked in the applications folder and see it made a "previous imovie" folder with my old one...

i try and open imovie 08 and it opens for a second, seems to try and load and shuts off...

i'm not sure what's going on - could it be because i had a couple slick (geethree) plugins installed on the old imovie?

i just need the new imovie for importing avchd files :(

thanks!

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wonder if your plugins are causing the problem. I was worried about this version of iMovie. Is it possible to hunt down and remove the plugins?

3. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

well, i went into the library > imovie> plug-ins and took them all out and reinstalled - same problem...

i used appzapper to remove all imovie - i wonder if i removed the old version of imovie and then installed the new one?

4. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

5. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i am still running iLife06 and since the last os/security update my iMovie is crashing all the time like what you have described. i haven't had time to sit down and fix it though. saying that, this is probably got nothing to do with the iLife upgrade. anyhow, i bought iLife08 and will try to fix the problem first before upgrading.

6. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i saw another post from another forum saying something about iphoto 3rd-party plugins causing some issues. so i "removed" my plugins for facebook & gallery uploads. after that, no more crash and now i'm running iMovie just like before.

hope this works for you as well.

7. coren2000 macrumors member

I am unable to run iMovie 06, my Mac is 2 months old and I have never been able to run iMovie 06 with any sizeable videos. I experience the same crashes that the first user describes.

8. willyeyeam macrumors newbie

what do you mean by facebook and gallery plugins? and what is this gallery you are talking about? should i just clear my history or what? sorry i don't understand.

9. JDSadow macrumors newbie

Problem Solution! Fixed!

Hey everyone -

Well after a long time with iPhoto and iMovie giving me problems, and some time on the phone with apple care, I found the problem. Find your problem program and follow the directions:

iPhoto won't export:

If this is your problem, it's a simple fix. Open finder and locate your "iPhoto" application, but do not open it. Right click and select "Show Package Contents." Enter the "Contents" Folder and then "Plugins." Find the "Facebook" plug-in and/or the "Gallery" plug-in if you have it. Both of these should be easily found by going by their name (each plug-in is titled w/ the name of the app it plugs into, i.e. if you want to delete facebook's plugin, go to "F". That should solve your export problems. Don't try to reinstall these plug-ins - they just don't work.

iMovie Solution!

If you iMovie keeps crashing there is actually a very easy fix that took a lot of digging to find. Open your User folder in finder, and follow it to "Library" and then open "Preferences." Scroll down and find the following:

com.apple.iApps.plist

DELETE IT! Log-off (no need to shut down) and log back in, and your iMovie should work.

Post your results here so we can validate the solutions. Good luck!

10. willyeyeam macrumors newbie

what exactly is "com.apple.iApps.plist". i kinda want to know what it is before i delete it...
    and does it have any effect on any other programs? can one restore it? i've read up on google but it's quite confusing...

11. minznerjosh macrumors newbie

No Go...

The iMovie fix didn't work. Here is what is happening to me.

http://www.screencast.com/users/minznerjosh/folders/Jing/media/2609fbb8-23d5-48d6-8eaf-9a0e4896af02

look familiar anyone?

12. willyeyeam macrumors newbie

yep... that looks about right. however i have yet to change any settings so i can't confirm whether or not deleting the preference will work...

13. minznerjosh macrumors newbie

I've Got A Fix!!!

When iMovie starts, it grabs all the movies in your iPhoto library. You have a video in your iPhoto library that is corrupting iMovie. Remove the videos from your iPhoto library. I know its harsh, but its the only way I know so far...

14. willyeyeam macrumors newbie

when i run my imovie, it seems to work fine up until i try to erase/delete/ or "clear" a clip. is anyone else having this problem? i've also read from other sites that when you do delete the "com.apple.iapp." or whatever preference file, that you should open up imovie and a new one will appear. has anyone tried this, and has it worked correctly for them? i don't feel the need to sacrifice my videos if i can solve the problem from it's source...

15. JDSadow macrumors newbie

Before you delete any photos or remove them, definitely try this. I'm almost positive if you are having a crash log that says "kernel error" or something like that, this will work. Just be sure to log-off and back in before you try iMovie.

You can definitely delete the "com.apple.iapp.plist" file in your preferences. The "plist" files in that folder are just your preferences in file format. For example, if you were to delete the whole folder and log-off and back in again, it would revert everything to the way you had it when you first bought your computer or installed Mac OS.

What this means is for example your doc icons would go back to default, your menu bar would only have the default things, mail wouldn't be set up properly, all those things you set the way you want them once you start using it.

This plist I say to delete is just some preference setting that meshes iPhoto and iMovie. It is automatically created by the programs (any use of the "i___" programs do it. So when you delete it just restores it as a fresh preference and allows everything to work (until you screw it up again, and delete it all over). The people on apple care said it would not mess anything up, and having done it earlier, it solved my problems and I used iMovie all afternoon.

For the person who said this didn't work - you have to log-in and out again. If you want to make it certain that this will fix it, create a fresh username quickly in accounts, log off and onto the new user name, and try iMovie. If it works, it is a problem in your preferences, and after searching for hours, the "apple.iapp" preference is the only one that is stopping iMovie. (If for some reason it doesn't fix it for you, even after the other username works, you can go section by section to narrow down which preference it is that you need to delete. Deleting any of them is safe - so don't worry).

16. Butters macrumors 6502

It didn't work for me :(

if it's not a problem with the preferences is it a problem with the software?
    or is there maybe something else to suggest trying?

I can usually troubleshoot problems like this myself but at the moment I'm thinking the only thing that's going to fix this is getting a software update from apple

17. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i have to agree with this regarding software update. it is a hit & miss for me. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I tried all the combination and it is very inconsistent. i did manage to upload 2 videos to youtube in the beginning, after that, it's not working anymore. today, i launched it and was working. so i tried to quit & launch again. nothing.

at this point, i am waiting for a patch from apple.

18. JDSadow macrumors newbie

Software update is definitely the way to fix it all, and these really are just temporary solutions.

Tell me - did you create a new username and try it on there, and did it work properly? If it did it is still some problem within preferences that you may want to try and sort out.

And if iMovie screws up again after you've done it once and it works, you just have to delete the file again and re-start the program. Sorry it's not working for all of you.

19. Scottuary macrumors member

I'm getting the exact same problem. It crashes immediately every time I try to open iMovie. This is unacceptable, Apple better be on this right away. This is rendering the biggest feature in the new iLife unusable. Didn't they test it?

20. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

21. christall109 macrumors 6502

I experienced the same problem with iPhoto '08 and I contacted facebook. A facebook representative had this to say:

"We are aware of the problem that you described and hope to resolve it as
    soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience. Let me know if you have
    any further questions."

A fix will come. I love that exporter....it made life so easy.

22. mark476p macrumors newbie

Sucks that GeeThree won't be updating their plug-ins to work with the new iMovie.

23. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

iMovie works for me .... except it is soooooo slowwwww
    Spinning beachball of death for up to one minute etc.etc. and I'm using a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro with 6 Gb of ram !!! ..... :mad::mad:

Thankfully when you install iLife 08, your original iMovie 06 is not deleted ... :)

24. Butters macrumors 6502

I solved my problem of iMovie crashing 2 seconds after launching (kind of)

I disconnected my external USB hard drive and it launches just fine.. works quite well and fast except for on certain videos in my iPhoto library where it won't show the thumbnails and is uber slow, but that's just a matter of the format they're encoded in

Anyway, when I reconnect my HD though iMovie thinks it's found a camera and tries to do something with it before crashing again (back to square 1).

So if you have an external drive of some sort try disconnecting it temporarily to see if it you can find the source of the problem

25. jraposa macrumors newbie

It worked for me

iMovie 08 kept crashing when I opened it. Here is the sollution:

iMovie Solution!

If you iMovie keeps crashing there is actually a very easy fix that took a lot of digging to find. Open your User folder in finder, and follow it to "Library" and then open "Preferences." Scroll down and find the following:

com.apple.iApps.plist

DELETE IT! Log-off (no need to shut down) and log back in, and your iMovie should work.

Post your results here so we can validate the solutions. Good luck!