Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I hope this was just an oversight on Apple's part, but since installing Leopard (clean install) and iMovie '08, I am unable to import any AVCHD files from either my camera (Sony HDR-SR1) or a DMG. Both methods were working fine in Tiger, so this a big step backwards (and a big disappointment) ...

Funny thing is, I just got done telling my wife this morning 'oh yeah, I'm so glad I got a Mac - Leopard rocks, everything just works!' ... :rolleyes:

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Correction. Apparently Lightroom was interfering with the import (?) because once I quit LR I was finally able to import video from a DMG. The HDR-SR1 is still not recognized as an external drive by OSX, so it cannot be used to import videos. But if you've got a Windows machine, you can use it to copy the SR1's HDD to an external drive, connect that drive to your Mac and use DropDMG or similar to make a DMG out of the files, and then finally iMovie can import them.

No, not a convoluted approach at all ... ;)

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I can't even open iMovie since I got 10.5:confused:

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear it! I'm guessing you didn't do a clean install? Seems like the people having the most problems are those who simply 'Upgraded' ...

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
mavis,

Just out of being curious, when you open iMovie, can't you just click on the import button on the screen and see what happens? I would assume you've done this but FWIW my JVC miniDV doesn't show up just the import button lights up (I know yours has a HDD and not tape). Have you tried to install iMovie '06 instead and see if that works better?
Good luck and glad to see even if it's a round about way you can have your video without a total loss :eek:

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
I also did a clean install of Leopard and then installed iMovie 08. It would not open. I trashed the package and tried to install again. Still the error message. I clicked the Software update, downloaded and installed the 7.1 update. It opened fine after that. Except it was missing some quicktime components that i later installed.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
Wow - what a major oversight! I'm sure Apple will release a fix - in the mean time, complain to Apple and let them know what's going on. :apple:

lharvest

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
I haven't had any problems importing AVCHD footage with iMovie after the upgrade. The camera is recognized by the system without issue and the footage is converted error free.

There must be a conflict with some third party utility or application that you have.

Just thought I would post so you didn't think the problem was universal.

Jeff Meredith

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Colorado
Another Person who can't open iMovie

I'd like to add my experience.

Overall I'm very happy with Leopard (Love CoverFlow, Love Parental Controls) but I bought iLife 08 the same time I bought Leopard. I've installed iMovie twice. Each time I launch it, it just spins away in an infinite loop apparently. I have a Mac Mini with 2 GB of RAM so it's not RAM related I think.

Hope there's an Apple fix soon.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I also did a clean install of Leopard and then installed iMovie 08. It would not open. I trashed the package and tried to install again. Still the error message. I clicked the Software update, downloaded and installed the 7.1 update. It opened fine after that. Except it was missing some quicktime components that i later installed.

I did a clean install as well and also can not use iMovie at all. Trashed it last night and reinstalled- still won't even open. I'll try again when I get home from work tonight. Grrrrrr.

NavyWings

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2006
I don't seem to have an issue but...

I came up with a pretty good workaround. I usually don't like to import directly from my camera and prefer to work directly from my external HD. Problem is iMovie doesn't recognize movie files unless it thinks they're on a camera. Here's the fix:

1. Get dropDMG from http://c-command.com/dropdmg/ well worth the $20.
2. Make a folder on your external drive labeled the same thing as your camera appears as when mounted. I use a Canon HG10 so shows up as "CANON_HDD"
3. Connect your camera and drag the folder(s) from the camera to the folder you created.
4. Now drag the folder and contents (CANON_HDD in my case) to DropDMG and it'll create a mountable disk image.
5. Mount the new image.
6. Open iMovie and it will automatically detect the mounted image as a camera.
7. Import your AVCHD files and viola!

Just did this with 17GB of HD video.....worked like a charm!

Hope this helps by providing an alternate workflow.....

Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, Leopard.

eljuan

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
Canon_HDD for HF100 no longer shows up on my mac

It used to work like a charm - just connect canon hf100 to macbook pro but in the camera I switched to 24fps and now mac no longer recognizes the camera?
Canon_HDD icon no longer shows on my desktop!

Can anyone help? I will very, very much appreciate it and will return the favor!!!

* I have the latest software, hardware, plugged in everything, checked mem card. Am stuck.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
It used to work like a charm - just connect canon hf100 to macbook pro but in the camera I switched to 24fps and now mac no longer recognizes the camera?
Canon_HDD icon no longer shows on my desktop!

Can anyone help? I will very, very much appreciate it and will return the favor!!!

* I have the latest software, hardware, plugged in everything, checked mem card. Am stuck.

I'm sure your shooting mode isn't the problem because it's doesn't matter if you shoot in 24p, 30p, or 60i. It still gets written to SSD as 60i.

Now with that being said. have you tried the other USB port? when i first got my HF10, FCE 4 was freezing (app not responding, drive not even mounted) whenever i plugged in my camcorder to the left USB port. so after much frustration, i decided to try the port on the right side and bingo, it worked like a charm. It's funny how both my USB ports are functional but my camcorder just doesn't want to work with the left port.

eljuan

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
Nrose, THX for the reply!!

Unfortunately I tried the other USB ports, but check this - I tried inserting a USB flash reader and my mac recognized it and imovie worked great (like the first time I hooked it up to my HF100). So is it the mac or the Canon? Shuold I return the Canon to Amazon and get a new one? Because you know how Apple is if I try to return my macbook ;-)

Hey, THX so much for replying and trying to help me out - people like you keep the world spinning..

eljuan

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
yeah, tried new card

guess i'll just buy a flash reader USB. not the end of the world i guess, but now to learn final cur pro...

THX again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.