iMovie 08' Moving Events and Project to new machine?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rotlex, Oct 7, 2007.

1. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Wasn't sure if I should put this here, or the apps forum, but here goes. When Leopard hits, I'm finally going to buy a new Intel based Mac. (Hooray for me) :)

I have one concern though, that I have not been able to find an answer too even on the Apple forums. Is there a way to successfully move my iMovie "Library" to the new machine, keeping my projects and events "linked"? I'm asking as I have seen a number of questions\problems on different forums regarding this that I have never seen an answer too.

In a nutshell, will simply moving my iMovie projects and iMovie events folders to the new computer keep them "linked" properly? It seems as though it should, however, I'm getting concerned as I have read a few posts in different places saying that somehow it doesn't.

Thanks!

2. xStep macrumors 68000

The Migration Assistant should make this easy. Right now iMovie 08 places all the files into a folder within your Movies folder. The assistant allows you to copy your entire user owned files and folders over.

Whap happens is that you boot your old machine in firewire disk mode and transfer everything that way. It works well.

Wait until Leopard is release to ask more about this.

3. jolton macrumors member

I concur.

Migration assistant will do this for you easily. No worries there. :)

4. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to both of you for that. I'm a newbie when it comes to "migrating" to a new Mac, as my current Powermac, G5, is my first one. :)