iMovie 08 or Letdown 01?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lord Sam, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Lord Sam macrumors regular

Lord Sam

personally, I hated it when apple changed tack with iMovie 08. I wanted something where you could do a fair ammount of editing and special effects, but without the complexity of Final Cut. I would like to know if anyone else feels this way, or if I am the only one. Apple has gone back to basics to satisfy new users, but left people like me feeling slightly betrayed.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think that iMovie08 is perfect for about 90% of all the people that would consider using it. Have you actually made a home movie with it? It is so quick and easy, which is what many people want - they dont want to be bothered with a timeline, or audio channels or any of the complexities that traditional editing programs bring.

If you need something more than that, consider FC Express, they lowered the price so that it will better fill the gap between iMovie and FCP/FCS. I don't understand why so many people expected iMovie to become more like FCE, yet free.

3. Lord Sam thread starter macrumors regular

Lord Sam

Well spoken

Ah well. I guess you're right, but after all the previous updates, you got the feeling that that was where iMovie was going. But considering all of the switchers apple is having, it is a good update for them.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Personally, I love it. It's like iPhoto for movies. Very simple, and a little more powerful than it looks on the surface.

That said, iMovie 06 was also great. I'm so glad we're allowed to have both without paying for both.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

iMovie 06 was at the point where any thing they added to it would just close the gap even more - so they did the only thing that made sense, take it back to the basics. iMovie 06 can be a little intimidating for those that no absolutely nothing about editing video. iMovie 08 is perfect for those people - and either 06 or FCE fits for everyone else.

6. Lord Sam thread starter macrumors regular

Lord Sam

Fce

Well, I guess I'll be getting my copy of FCE soon. Cheers