iMovie 08, possible for slow or quick motion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ViperDesign, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Are you able to slow down a clip for slow motion or even make it quicker? I have tried everything (that I know) to do this and even searched it, but I can not find anything on it.

Is it possible, and if it is can you explain how to do this?

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Download iMovie '06 (free if you own iLife '08) do the slow motion you need, export the clip, re import into iMovie '08 and that's it.

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I know what a rip, why in the world would simple options like fade in and out and speed control be left out. Pisses me off.

4. ViperDesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Luis,

Thanks or the advice :)

5. ViperDesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Yeah to be honest this really is the only bad thing I can think of that is missing from this application. I mean this is a key component we are missing from it. This is what I use the most esp when editing sports stuff.

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I agree that it is a shame that things like this, that were considered basic were left out. However; we have to remember that this is a totally new application, that means it is almost like a 1.0 version. Hopefully, more stuff will be added along the way.

You're welcome :)

7. millap macrumors regular

One thing that I found out by accident, was that the supplied 'Fade Through Black' transition, actually doubles up as Fade In/Fade Out, but only if you use it at the start or end of a project. In iMovie 06, these were separate transitions.

I have also heard (but haven't tried yet) that some of the transitions can also be used to fade and overlap audio tracks. Can anyone confirm if this is the case ?

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

wow

is this actually serious. you cannot slow down clips. that was probably my most used feature of imovie 06. they better release an update with this feature, and soon

9. pura vida macrumors newbie

yes

i don't know how you're applying the audio, but you can overlap the audio clips, then click the speaker button in the middle of the page to fade in and out. if you drop the music in the backround, you can't overlap, but if you drop it in a clip, then you can set start and stop points, and it is possible to overlap, i use this a lot.

oh yeah, and the fade through black to fade in and out, they probably thought that was basic common sense.

10. emcat macrumors newbie

about that...

Okay but I've been on the apple website and that wasn't any help at all. They only had imovie HD to download. Can you please tell me where can i download imovie 06 for free?

-thanks

11. atmenterprises macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken, iMovie HD is the same as iMovie 6.

12. Passive101 macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure where to download this. I have iLife 08, but I want more options for my videos like 06 used to have.

13. largehedgehogs macrumors newbie

LUIS. Another question for you.

LUIS. Another question for you. What size would you recommend exporting the clip from imovie HD (before re-importing into imovie '08) so as not to lose any quality? thanks.

14. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

and imovie 09 will have all this in one package, so no importing and exporting going on between imovie hd and imovie 08 :)

15. oslomac macrumors newbie

The real question is whether Apple will charge us to "upgrade" to get basic features like speed up, slow down, fade in, fade out, etc for our almost brand new (albeit in many ways featureless) iMovie 08... iMovie 08 is the iLife experience of Vista :/

16. jeffgorelick macrumors newbie

yeah its really annoying. I purchased iLife 08 with hopes f more features and effects, instead there is less. This sucks!!! It seems like the only way to get the slow down and speed up and everything else is now to buy iLife 09. Wish Apple would step up and realize they screwed this up and offer an upgrade for 08. I am trying to edit some dirt bike videos and stuff, and wanted to use slow motion and speed up, but now I cant. This sucks big time.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I tried to download iMovie 06 or HD, but it wont let me install it on my mac for some reason. I'm starting to get really pissed off