Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephenc92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
I'm trying to export some HD content that's been edited in iMovie '08 into iDVD . I noticed that it's missing some features of '06. There's no chapter markers, and there's no mode under the "Share" menu to send to iDVD.

What's the best way of exporting HD content from iMovie '08 to iDVD?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I just did a search in iMovie's help file and came up with this, to read the full article type iDVD into the help, "Creating a movie to use with iDVD, iWeb, or other Apple applications"

Creating a movie to use with iDVD, iWeb, or other Apple applications
If you want to use of your iMovie projects in iDVD, iWeb, or another Apple application, you need to render it and send it to the Media Browser. iMovie allows you to render one or more sizes of your a movie, depending on the size of the original media used in the project.

If the larger sizes are not available, the original project media isn’t large enough to render in that size. The largest media size used in the project determines the final movie sizes you can render.

[snip]

To share your project with other applications through the Media Browser:

Select it in the Project Library, and then choose Share > Media Browser.

Select the size that best matches what you’ll be using the video for. For iDVD, the Large size is best.

Click Share.

Rendering can take up to several minutes depending on the size of your movie. It will also take longer if you render more than one movie size at once.

Open iDVD or your other application and then look for the rendered movies in the Movies window or iLife Media Browser.

For best results in iDVD, select the largest movie that’s available.

In iMovie, an icon appears next to the project’s name in the Project Library to indicate that the project has been rendered.

If you make further edits to your project in iMovie after you’ve rendered it, the title bar indicates that your project is out of date and needs to be rendered again. The old versions of the movie are deleted and replaced by new ones when you render it again.

If you want to save the previous version of your movie before you edit it, you can do so by exporting it to the Finder.

Seems like so much more hassle than iMovie HD, there doesn't seem to be any reference to chapter markers in help. Perhaps it is something you have to do in iDVD now.

edit: iDVD - Advanced- Create Chapter Markers for Movie

stephenc92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
I just did a search in iMovie's help file and came up with this, to read the full article type iDVD into the help, "Creating a movie to use with iDVD, iWeb, or other Apple applications"

Seems like so much more hassle than iMovie HD, there doesn't seem to be any reference to chapter markers in help. Perhaps it is something you have to do in iDVD now.

edit: iDVD - Advanced- Create Chapter Markers for Movie

Thanks. iMovie '08 REALLY sucks. The only reason I used it is because it supports the AVCHD codec which all HD camcorders use.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
SDHC Camcorders

Has anyone tried the SDHC Camcorders?

Hi-Def &/or Standard Def?

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
SDHC camcorders are tapeless!!!! Goodness gracious.

After using them now for several months, I would NEVER go back to tape again. I use a 16gb SDHC card Class 6 which I bought for 60 bucks, works great. Used it over and over. Best camcorder invention yet.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
SDHC camcorders are tapeless!!!! Goodness gracious.

After using them now for several months, I would NEVER go back to tape again. I use a 16gb SDHC card Class 6 which I bought for 60 bucks, works great. Used it over and over. Best camcorder invention yet.

What software and computer are you editing with?

I had a crunch project the last few weeks and my executive producer (for lack of a better term) wanted to go with a Panasonic HD camcorder.

He was going to buy it and donate it to the cause...

"Great," I said, "but, then I'll need a new computer and software to edit with." (At the same time showing him the specs of the camera on-line.)

I ended up using my old Sony miniDV camcorder and FCP3 on my lil ol' eMac.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Thanks. iMovie '08 REALLY sucks. The only reason I used it is because it supports the AVCHD codec which all HD camcorders use.

You can import using iMovie'08 and edit using iMovieHD since '08 uses a library system for the clips. '08 should convert AVCHD to AIC, which is compatible with iMovieHD.

It's a two step process, but you get your chapter marks back.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
You can import using iMovie'08 and edit using iMovieHD since '08 uses a library system for the clips. '08 should convert AVCHD to AIC, which is compatible with iMovieHD.

It's a two step process, but you get your chapter marks back.

It would be nice if iMovie '08 had an 'Edit using External Editor' the way iPhoto does.

For simple edits, iM '08 is fine; but iM '08 excels at 'library management', not editing. I want to use iMHD '06 (or even Final Cut Express) to do more powerful editing, but don't want to have to go through a million hoops. I just want to right-click and 'Edit using iMovie HD' the way I can right-click and 'Edit using Pixelmator' in iPhoto.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
It would be nice if iMovie '08 had an 'Edit using External Editor' the way iPhoto does.

For simple edits, iM '08 is fine; but iM '08 excels at 'library management', not editing. I want to use iMHD '06 (or even Final Cut Express) to do more powerful editing, but don't want to have to go through a million hoops. I just want to right-click and 'Edit using iMovie HD' the way I can right-click and 'Edit using Pixelmator' in iPhoto.

It's not quite what you're asking but once you've done your rough cut in iMovie 08 (and it's great for that) you can send it to FCP as an XML file. One way only mind you. Still, nice feature I think, as long as your version of FCE/FCP supports the HD format used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.