iMovie '08 to iDVD '08

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stephenc92, Feb 7, 2008.

1. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

I'm trying to export some HD content that's been edited in iMovie '08 into iDVD . I noticed that it's missing some features of '06. There's no chapter markers, and there's no mode under the "Share" menu to send to iDVD.

What's the best way of exporting HD content from iMovie '08 to iDVD?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I just did a search in iMovie's help file and came up with this, to read the full article type iDVD into the help, "Creating a movie to use with iDVD, iWeb, or other Apple applications"

Seems like so much more hassle than iMovie HD, there doesn't seem to be any reference to chapter markers in help. Perhaps it is something you have to do in iDVD now.

edit: iDVD - Advanced- Create Chapter Markers for Movie

3. stephenc92 thread starter macrumors regular

stephenc92

Thanks. iMovie '08 REALLY sucks. The only reason I used it is because it supports the AVCHD codec which all HD camcorders use.

4. scamateur macrumors member

5. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

SDHC Camcorders

Has anyone tried the SDHC Camcorders?

Hi-Def &/or Standard Def?

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

SDHC camcorders are tapeless!!!! Goodness gracious.

After using them now for several months, I would NEVER go back to tape again. I use a 16gb SDHC card Class 6 which I bought for 60 bucks, works great. Used it over and over. Best camcorder invention yet.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

What software and computer are you editing with?

I had a crunch project the last few weeks and my executive producer (for lack of a better term) wanted to go with a Panasonic HD camcorder.

He was going to buy it and donate it to the cause...

"Great," I said, "but, then I'll need a new computer and software to edit with." (At the same time showing him the specs of the camera on-line.)

I ended up using my old Sony miniDV camcorder and FCP3 on my lil ol' eMac.

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

You can import using iMovie'08 and edit using iMovieHD since '08 uses a library system for the clips. '08 should convert AVCHD to AIC, which is compatible with iMovieHD.

It's a two step process, but you get your chapter marks back.

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It would be nice if iMovie '08 had an 'Edit using External Editor' the way iPhoto does.

For simple edits, iM '08 is fine; but iM '08 excels at 'library management', not editing. I want to use iMHD '06 (or even Final Cut Express) to do more powerful editing, but don't want to have to go through a million hoops. I just want to right-click and 'Edit using iMovie HD' the way I can right-click and 'Edit using Pixelmator' in iPhoto.

10. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

It's not quite what you're asking but once you've done your rough cut in iMovie 08 (and it's great for that) you can send it to FCP as an XML file. One way only mind you. Still, nice feature I think, as long as your version of FCE/FCP supports the HD format used.