iMovie '08 to iMovie HD - Is there another way?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Courtaj, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Because iMovie '08 recognises my AVCHD camcorder and iMovie HD doesn't, I'd like to find an easy / quick way of transferring the AIC-encoded iMovie '08 files to iMovie HD for editing.

At present I'm using File -> Import and pointing the Finder at the iMovie '08 Event folder, but this results in another "conversion" process while iMovie HD imports the clips.

Is there another way? I'd like to think it can be as easy as simply dragging the transcoded files across.

Andrew.

2. wheelhot macrumors 68020

What's the difference between iMovie 08 compared to iMovie HD? Cause once I followed a person iMovie HD download, it shows that the app is created before iMovid 08, so it should mean iMovie 08 is more recent compared to iMovie HD.

So why still use iMovie HD, can't iMovie 08 do HD stuffs?

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Give this a try:

Create an iMovie HD project at the same resolution as your iMovie '08 project or import. Sorry, I am not familiar with iMovie '08.

Quit iMovie HD

Go to your project's folder in Finder, right click on it and select "Show Package Contents". You should see a folder called "Media" Try copying your AIC files into that folder.

Start your iMovie HD. It should find those files now. It may place them in its trash can if it gets confused, but you can restore them. In the end, each AIC "should" show up as individual clips in the clip viewer. Let us know if it works. In the end, it may not take less time, but it may be worth a try.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not a recommendation, so do your research appropriately.

With that disclaimer, I'd say to take a look at Voltaic. It's not free, but from what I've read, it handles the video importing similarly to iMovie08 and allows iMovieHD to use the footage.

ft

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

It's trueeeeeeeeeee uuu oeh (I was in for singing). iMovie 08 is newer. HD older, but, iMovie 08 is more costumer orientated. And iMovie HD has a nicer, more professional way of cutting little movies. You can get more out of iMovie HD. iMovie 08 can, ofcourse, edit HD too. But iMovie 08 is more basic to make quick short funny movies. HD has a little bit more professionality. (at least, that's my opinion). But I've went to final cut studio.

6. Courtaj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Thanks, but I don't feel like waiting on import speeds at 12x original clip length.

7. Courtaj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

This seems to work. The clips do indeed end up in iMovie HD's trash, but it's a simple matter of dragging them out again: much quicker than importing / reencoding. Thanks very much!

Andrew.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I think the 12x import time is if you have a PowerPC Mac. I would have thought that an Intel Mac would be faster, at least on par with iMovie'08.

Not that I really know as I don't have either Voltaic or an AVCHD camcorder.

I like this. I might have to do this with my SD material. I've imported everything with iMovie'08 because of the Library feature. But I prefer using iMovieHD for editing. This might be a workaround for me. Thanks for confirming this.

9. Courtaj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

From the Voltaic FAQ:

How long does the conversion take?

This depends on your machine, but as a guide, on a 2.0 GHz MacBookPro with 2Gb of RAM, a 10 second AVCHD clip takes about 2 minutes to convert. In other words, it takes about 12 times as long as the original footage to convert the clip.

Yikes, as in Last Resort Corral!

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OUCH!!! I wonder how long a G5 would take? As a point of reference, how long does iMovie'08 take to convert AVCHD to AIC?

ft

11. Courtaj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Again it will depend on system specs, but my C2D 2GHz 2GB mini does it in about 1.5x. Some clips faster, some a little slower as the AVCHD implementation of H.264 uses a variable bit rate.