iMovie 08 upgrade

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by The Oil Baron, Jan 22, 2008.

1. The Oil Baron macrumors newbie

Hi all -

Total novice to advanced video editing here, so sorry to bore you with what's no doubt a really simple problem. Nonetheless...

I bought iLife 08 and got the 'super' new iMovie with it. I've worked with it's predecessor for ages and had no problems, yet the new version simply refuses to play back any footage.

I've tried existing projects, new projects, importing old projects (PHYSICALLY from the DV tape again). I can hear sound (ocassionally) but it's never accompanied by...erm, video.

Any advice? What should I check? Do I need to reinstall may be?

Totally irritating!

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

iMovie '08 has come in for a lot of criticism for being less powerful than (and generally incompatible with) iMovie '06.

Fortunately, you can install iMovie '06 alongside iMovie '08. Apple even lets users of iLife '08 download iMovie '06 for free from their website. A quick search of their support area (or of these forums) should reveal the link for you if you need it.

SL

3. The Oil Baron thread starter macrumors newbie

So, presumably, if the guys in the store can't make it work properly (don't forget my iMovie 08 doesn't work at all)... they will have to give me my money back, right?!

Has anyone successfully done that?

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Yeah, if you're that stuck, book a session with the Genius Bar and see what they say.

What spec is your Mac? iMovie '08 has some pretty demanding system requirements... maybe that's your problem. Also make sure you've got all the latest software updates.

SL