iMovie '08 versus iMovie 6 comparison summary

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DanK104, Oct 2, 2007.

1. DanK104 macrumors member

Can anyone direct me to a site with a good comparison of iMovie '08 (i.e. iMovie 7. Or better yet, 7.1) and iMovie 6 (iMovie HD)?

I would like to avoid discussion threads along the lines of "version X sucks", but would rather find a more objective review/comparison! Something that discusses the features and lists what each can or can't do and the pros and cons of each. Does that exist?

I'm trying to decide which to use and would like to read a good objective comparison.

Thanks!
    DanK

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

What Mac Do You Have?

Depends on your Mac model. What do you have?

3. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

If you want speed use '08, if you want control, use 6.

Thats really all there is to it! I have both on my mac, and they are both good for different things.

4. DanK104 thread starter macrumors member

Multimedia: I have a new 24" iMac (2.4 GHz, 2GB), so it can handle either.
    Joshy: Thanks for the summary (speed vs. control). I still would like to find a more detailed comparison of the two. Any suggestions?

Also, did the recent iMovie '08 update take care of any of the major complaints with the initial release?

Thanks!

5. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

The major complaints are basically because it is a totaly different product.

its less easy to control sound, make many edits, but it is far easier to work with long footage and quickly create a movie.

think family movie - new version. think film, think old version!

6. nlange macrumors newbie

compare

If you want to create slide shows with music and still photos, 6 is the ONLY way to go. It allows a lot more control of the pictures, music volumes/transitions, and voice-overs. It also shows a timeline of what you have created thus far. If you are used to a timeline, it is difficult to work without one.

I think '08 is better for video, but you still don't have much control over the volume and other audio editing.

I was very disappointed and frustrated with '08. I'm not sure why you would take away the very features that make a program better than the others, but now iMovie '08 is very basic and limiting. I've gone back to 6 and will use it until they make something better, but I think it will have to be an entirely new version--I'm not sure that updates will fix or replace everything that is missing from this software.

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Try both, see which one works better for you. I think the new updates gave better audio editing features and, I think, more control over photos. I only played with the new version briefly at the store. It has an innovative GUI. I was impressed. A lot of people are resistant to change, so that might play into some of the complaints. I think Apple is on the right track there, but it might need some iterations to make it better.

8. MAW macrumors regular

I want to use 6 myself. I know that those who purchased ilife '08 are entitled to a free download. But what about those of us purchasing a new mac soon that will already have '08 installed. Does anyone know if the download is still available for that camp? I can't seem to find the answer on Apple's site.

9. stockcerts macrumors 65816

This is exactly how I feel about it. The new version seems like a scaled down "lite" version, as if they dumbed it down.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can install the download version of iMovie 6 if iLife '08 is installed, so yes, you can load it on your new Mac.

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

how about compatibility with different video codecs in both movie versions?

can i use quicktime or mpeg movies and just use them to create a movie?

can i use the 08 output and improve it in 06?

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Anybody have the URL for the iMovie 6 download? I own iLife 08 and iLife 06 came with my Mac.

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It's available for those who've purchased and installed iLife '08. I've gone back to 6.0.4.

14. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

15. ///alpinepower macrumors member

imovie 08 quits one minute into recording for me and is sluggish in general
    imovie 06 is faster and does not quit when recording.

i have a new macbook pro

16. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

What about if I have a mac mini with 2.0 ghz and 2 GB ram ? I am having trouble importing video into my imovie 08. It will not accept any video import except dv format. Why is that? I tried importing .avi, .mov. .mpeg and no go on all of those. Is it imovie 08 the problem?