iMovie 08 vs. i Movie 06 ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fab5freddy, Sep 9, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

i have iMovie 06,

and was wondering what the improvements are
    on the new iMovie 08 ?

are there any real improvements, or is it just eye candy ?

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

It's iMovie 7.0.1 vs. iMovie 6.0.4 NOT 08 vs. 06

I'm using iMovie 7.0.1 to create really good video with only .5 sec disolves between cuts and excellent captioning. I really like it for that.

Takes a lot of getting used to how to use it. But once you pass the learning the curve intuitively, it's really very fast. :)

3. mikerol macrumors member

I don't use iMovie a ton, but best I can tell, editing clips and adding transitions is easier. It's a simple app to use. One enormous flaw is that they took out all the effects.

Does anyone know how to change clip speed in 08? In 06, there's that little slider at the bottom with the turtle and the rabbit on it to speed or slow down clips. Would appreciate it if anyone has figured this out.
    thanks

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

It's a totally new approach to video editing and shares little in common with 06. On the whole, it's easier to get going than 06 was, and has some nice new features such as video correction and scale/cropping tools.

The biggest weakness, for me, is that it does not support Chapter Markers for iDVD. If you plan to make DVDs from your video you may want to use 06 instead.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have to agree here. i haven't done a whole lot with it yet, but this is pretty accurate

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I'm waiting to collect iLife from the post office. Generally quite excited about it but have been worried a bit about iMovie - people seem to have complained about it being crippled and having half of its features removed. Is this the case? The apple website doesn't let on too much.

I'm doing quite a big project in iMovie 6 at the moment - will upgrading mess it up or not allow me the same tools to work on it?

7. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I prefer the 06 version as the new version is very limited. I think it's for people who are looking for a simple solution without a lot of options to confuse them. The new version is also more geared to video clips. I like making productions with a mix of photos and video, and the timeline view is a more standard way of creating such productions.