Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maninthemoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Hello,

I know almost nothing about movie making or editing so please forgive me if I use the wrong terms.

As part of her masters project my wife is making a 5 minute video for placement on the web (utube etc.) The video won't have any actual video but use still photos and on screen quotes for the images. Hopefully we can apply some effects to the still images to make things more dynamic. There will be two "soundtracks", music and spoken word. The music will be playing in the background and at times the music will fade out and while someone is speaking.

I have iMovie '08 on my mac mini and my wife has the older iMovie HD on her powerbook 1.67. We have no expierence with either program. Would one be better than the other?

thanks.

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I would use imovie HD, I HATE imovie 08. The UI is terrible and I can't find the effects or really anything.:(

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
If you are concerned about precise audio ducking (level control of the audio) then iMovie '06 would be a better choice.

Otherwise, iMovie '08 seems IDEAL for what you are doing, and would make short work of it, very easily. It provides the ability to control the audio as well, but if you don't like the choices it makes, it is a bit more difficult (or impossible in some cases) to finagle.

Give it a try in iMovie '08. You'll know in an hour if it'll work for you.

-Allen

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I can understand some people disliking iMovie'08 compared to '06. However, in this case, the OP's wife would be better served to use '08.

Here's why.

iMovie'08 has a much better photo slide show controls. You have 100x more control over the Ken Burns effect. '08 still has titling functions, but you might have to fool around with it if you want the quotations to show up on a black screen.

For a 5 minute "movie" that's basically a slide show with music and titles, I'd say that iMovie'08 would be better.

ft

Sara93

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Saint George, Ut.
Me too!

I would use imovie HD, I HATE imovie 08. The UI is terrible and I can't find the effects or really anything.:(

I LOVE iMovie HD! I absolutely HATE the new one! Who's the dumb-dumb that took away the themes and awesome effects!?! I'm never ever going to make a movie in iMovie '08! Ever. :) I also hate the way you move your mouse over your clips and it plays them. That's retard. And I can't stand the sound when you do that! Ugh! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.