Imovie 08?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Strom1, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Strom1 macrumors regular

Strom1

Does imovie 08 have any special video effects?

2. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Nope. That's one of the main complaints against it. It's way too limited in that respect.

3. Strom1 thread starter macrumors regular

Strom1

Is there anything available similar to this program with effects?

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

iMovie '09 I reckon :)

Seriously though, nothing with this interface. if you want effects you can install iMovie '06 for free, and it has lots of effects and stuff. But (and this in unpopular) it sucks compared to iMovie '08 for fastness and ease of use.

It is a much more difficult program to use intuitively and get around in quickly, and until you've really memorized how to work fast with it, it kind of sucks.

But it DOES have effects and more transitions, and titles, and themes.

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I'm going to disagree with it being more difficult. It works! '08 doesn't! Anything Quicktime can play, '06 can import. Not so with '08 which doesn't appear to support anything other than .mov.

6. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Uh huh...

[​IMG]

7. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

You'd have to pay for it, but if you want real movie editing with as many effects as you could ever possibly want and still be on a realistic budget, go and get Final Cut Express. Takes a bit of time to learn it, but it's fantastic (if you can't afford Final Cut Pro - and who can?).

Apart from that, iMovie 06 is really good too.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

mmm...

I recorded a video with Snapz Pro X... I didn't need to add any special effects or anything... I just wanted to put the video on YouTube real quickly... so I tried importing my video to iMovie '08. It wouldn't accept it. It's not an issue with the file because iMovie '06 opened it just fine.

So apparently when adding support for those other file formats they removed several others.

'08 is awful. I hope the next version is based off of '06... they can put the skimming feature in and support for the new cameras into that. I'm sure it's much less work than trying to replace the hundreds of transitions, effects, titles, etc, that '06 had.

9. akm3 macrumors 68020

I would rather they keep the 08 base and add the other stuff back in. The transitions and titles and what not in 08 are all rendered in real time, so none of the pause to render every time you want to try something. 08 is a superior platform, just light on the features 06 had built up, imho. It will get better.

10. 2000ContourSVT macrumors member

Yeah they should just add the effects into 08. I really like the way 08 works, and the way the GUI looks. However at the same time I like the effects that are included with 06. So if Apple put the effects from 06 into iMovie 08 that would be an awesome package.