iMovie 09 and AVCHD files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Alexski, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Alexski macrumors newbie

I have a ton of MTS files I took off my friends camera, and iMovie won't read them. When i try importing them, they are grayed out and I cannot select them. My Macbook doesn't even recognize them.

The reason I have nothing but the files is because when trying to import them using my friend's Canon camera, my computer didn't recognize the camera, so I couldn't import directly from camera into iMovie. Instead, i went into the hard drive and pulled the files directly onto the macbook's HD.

I figured I'd be able to convert the files into dv or some other recognizable format but everytime I try the files come out corrupted in some way.

I am now relegated to trying to import the files into iMovie again. Every thread I read says that iMovie should be able to read AVCHD, but it's not. On top of trying to convert the files, I have tried mounting them onto a disk image I created, but iMovie didn't recognize them either.

TL;DR: My Macbook didn't recognize my friend's camera, so I wasn't able to import files directly into iMovie. I have tried tricking iMovie into recognizing the files but it hasn't worked. Help!

2. Alexski thread starter macrumors newbie

software...

i realize i can pay 40 bucks for software. i would like to try to avoid that...any free solutions?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Transcode via VLC to another format, but there are no iMovie compatible options, so you need another transcoding process.

4. grapejucy macrumors newbie

5. kev6677 macrumors member

unfortunatlly imovie will only recognize those m2ts files if you import them directlly from the camcorder it will not import m2ts as files from a hard drive. good luck.