iMovie 09 and JVC GZ-MG630SU

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Enigmafan420, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Does anyone know if iMovie is supposed to be able to read this video camera? In fact, Mac OS doesn't even recognize when I plug it in, unlike my still camera.

I plug in the USB and nothing happens. I googled JVC and iMovie and saw several people saying that iMovie should be able to directly read this camera.

I really don't want to use the Windoze software that came with it.

Thanks-and forgive me if this has been asked, I searched here and didn't find anything.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

CRAP! Do you know if it can be "unofficially" supported?

I know a couple of years ago when I migrated back to Mac from Windows I was able to get a couple of "windows only" printers working on my Mac. ;)

4. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Okay so I have had to resort to bootcamp to get the data files.

I get a bunch of XYZ.MOD files that nothing in Leopard seems to know what to do with.

What can I do to open these? I even downloaded the Quicktime Mpeg 2 converter and well that seemed to be a waste of $20 as nothing is happening.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That's because Quicktime doesn't understand the file wrapper. MPEG Streamclip can open .MOD files and transcode them to edit-friendly formats, like DV. And worry not, because the Apple MPEG-2 plug-in isn't necessarily a waste of money. MPEG Streamclip's functionality is limited without it.

6. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

MPEG Streamclip is AWESOME! Thanks! With my $20 quicktime purchase (Ouch! Thanks Apple for the 800 KB file!!!) and Streamclip I am able to get these files into something iMovie can use.

I have a new requirement for all future purchases-if they don't support Mac, I don't support them.

Thanks for your help!

7. snorklepork macrumors newbie

My wife got it to work so far

My wife got it to work on her laptop with iMovie 08. She hooked up the camera to the computer. Went to Export to Library. iMovie started up, recognized the camera. She's uploading right now.

8. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I must be dense or something. I SWORE I tried to export to imovie. Maybe I expected it to be automatic, but anyway it does work if you choose export on the camera and then import on iMovie.

I swear I tried this, but whatever it does work-THANKS!

9. petekrueger macrumors newbie

In iMovie 9 I just found out the way to do it. You setup the camera for export and in iMovie 9 you select "File" -> "Import" -> "Camera Archive". Setting up the camera for export makes the hard drive available as a mounted drive. Select this drive in the Camera Archive Import dialog box. None of the subfolders will be available on the drive, but the window will say, "Archive found." Selecting the mounted drive and clicking "OK" will launch the iMovie 9 Import window. It shows you a list of clips on the camera and allows you to select all clips, or some of the clips, and then click the "Import Selected..." button.

So, Camera Archive is the key.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why? Will you tell us why you resurrected an almost a year old thread?

How did you find it anyway?

Again, why (except the obvious)? Do you scan internet forums for old threads to which you might have an answer and then register to just post in them and never come back?

11. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

The guy is offering some help-does it really matter why? His instructions may help someone else in the future avoid a very frustrating experience. I know, I was the one that had the frustration.

Chill! Do you cruise old posts to see if people are posting there, only to call them out on it?

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

This is a thread I participated in, so it is visible on my Subscriptions page.

I may have come off as too strong in my post asking the resurrector why did s/he do that, but I'm just curious on how those people come upon such threads. I can understand the psychology behind people resurrecting old threads because they have a question pertaining the same issue, but how comes one across the idea to scan the www for threads, posts and articles containing information one may know something about, register there and never return?

It is a good thing nonetheless, but as yesterday three or four threads I came across have been resurrected for stupid comments, I may have been too harsh here.

But since that poster will never return, I will ask and ask until one answers, and I already asked two dozens of posters. None answered. And I was nice in some of my replies.

13. Chris at JVC macrumors newbie

Using JVC Everio with iMovie

Hi,

My name is Chris and I work for JVC. I know this is an older thread, but it is active again, so I would like to try and clarify our camcorder operation with iMovie.

If you have a GZ-MG630, or any other JVC Everio, operation with iMovie '08 or iMovie '09 is very easy, and very automatic. Here's what you do:

1. Connect via USB
    2. As soon as you make the USB connection, you will see a USB Menu on the JVC Camcorder. Select "Playback on PC".
    3. Launch iMovie '08 or '09
    4. Select to import from the camcorder
    5. You will see a series of thumbnails which represent each scene of video in the camcorder's memory. You can choose to import them all or choose individual scenes.

This process is the same with all standard definition Everio models that record in the MPEG2 format (.mod file extension) and all high definition Everio models since 2008 which record in the AVCHD format (.mts file extension). The only catch with HD is you need to make sure you have an Intel processor. Also, HD is more demanding in terms of processor speed, memory and storage for the best results.

With this process, no conversion software of any kind is needed. It's that easy.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris