iMovie '09 and the X264 codec

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacDenney, Mar 22, 2009.

1. MacDenney macrumors newbie

I've learned that the X264 codec is better then the H264 codec at producing quality movies from iDVD '09 to a DVD, from a movie project generated by iMovie '09.
    I found a volume on google to download that says X264 Encoder. Trouble is, I don't know how to install it, or use it. It sits on my desktop!

I have been importing both converted VHS footage into dv, as well as AVCHD footage into iMovie '09.

Have a HDR SR-11 Sony AVCHD camcorder; 1st gen intel iMac, 2GB RAM, 1TB external drive.

Can anyone help? Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If I understand you correct, you currently use the .H264 codec to export form iMovie and the import into iDVD?

If that is the case, then you make a redundant step.

A video DVD uses the MPEG-2 codec to encode its video, the .H264 (and also X264) is an MPEG-4 codec, meaning more compression (but sufficient with no apparent image quality loss) and smaller file size.

Then you would edit DV material (with 3.25 MBytes/sec) in iMovie, export it to .H264 (or X264), therefore compressing the video to a data rate of approximately 0.2-0.5 MBytes/sec and then open them in iDVD, where it will be outputted to DVD (MPEG-2) and have a maximum data rate of 1 MBytes/sec.

So you make big video much, much smaller, just to make it bigger again.

There will be loss of image quality. Just send your iMovie project directly to iDVD.

If I understood you wrong, at least I got to write something.

3. MacDenney thread starter macrumors newbie

X264 codec

Thanks, you answered my question.

Now, would that codec help at all when exporting AVCHD movies to iDVD?