Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eddie P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Hi everyone. I've been using iMovie 09 for about 6 months. I'm pretty comfortable in most of the ins and outs of the basic operations. My question concerns audio trasitions in and out of various video segments.

Example: I want to begin a scene with an interview. The subject is essentially a "talking head" and I'd like to transition into some B roll video and pictures while the talking head's voice still goes on with the subject at hand.

Is the best way to do this essentially to import the interview clip as "audio only", then import the interview clip again in entirety, then shut off the audio of the video clip? What's the best way, in this case, to then sync the audio and video clip? I would then clip the video to the desired lengths and insert pictures and B roll video where desired, and I assume the interview audio would be fine in the separate audio clip.

Is there a cleaner, better way to do this? Do you guys have a trick for getting the video and separate audio synced up just right?

I really like iMovie09 but I have installed Final Cut for more creative options - and I'm trying to get a grasp of that program. It's a lot more complicated than I thought (certainly more than iM09), I'll probably get a FC7 video tutorial, my immersion self training isn't leading me anywhere fast like I thought it would.

In the meantime, thanks for any insights into my iMovie09 Q's.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
You can do this with the precision editor, which allows you to use audio from one clip while playing another. Sequence the two clips and then click on the blue gear icon in the left-hand corner and select Precision Editor. You'll get a new timeline view in the bottom of the screen that shows the transition between the two clips.

Eddie P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Thank you for the info.

It seems I have found a better solution. It's a basic function I didn't know about called "cutaway". Really much more slick, and far, far less labor intensive than the method I was trying to use and works great.

For anyone running up against this question themselves, just click on the "Help" tab up top, type in "cutaway" and read up on it. The tutorial will explain everything. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.