iMovie '09 HD Support?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by walala, Jan 6, 2009.

1. walala macrumors member

Hi,

Why won't they add HD support (not AVCHD) for iMovie '09? I know this topic was probably beaten to death when iMovie '08 was released, but it seems like it would be a logical thing to do, especially since many camcorders are HD nowadays. I'd love to be able to use my Canon HV30 in iMovie '09, yet I'm stuck using iMovie HD.

I realize they were probably thinking that by removing it they would push people to upgrade to Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro, but I really don't need those extra features. I have an HD cam for high quality videos, but that doesn't necessarily mean that want to do very sophisticated editing- iMovie '09 would be perfect.

Is there any chance that at some point they'll bring back the HD feature to the iMovie software?

2. krimb1 macrumors newbie

It boggles my mind too! I echo the same bewilderment.

Any thoughts?

3. hjruiz macrumors newbie

Is there a iMovie alternative that handles HD? Final Cut Express has to many features for me and way more expensive.

4. oliverlubin macrumors regular

where does it say that iMovie 09 does not support HD?

5. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

It doesnt. Not only that I import and export HD video in iMovie 08 all the time. You export it with QuickTime and it has several HD options.

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The "HD feature" never left

7. walala thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean by that? That they allowed people to still download iMovie HD at no charge, and that supposedly covers their tail?

8. krimb1 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm curious about what you mean by that as well.

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What Roy's trying to say is that from iMovie has supported hi definition footage since 5 and later. Just removing the word "HD" from the title doesn't mean the newer versions no longer support importing/exporting in that format. The only reason iMovie 6 was left available for people to download is because it had quite a few features that were removed from the re-designed iMovie 7, namely precision timing with a timeline editor, video effects, and slow motion/fast forward/reverse motion. With those features being reintroduced in iMovie '09 (version 8), the few people running iMovie 6 will probably be doing so because they can't run Leopard 10.5.6 which is one of the system requirements.

10. filman408 macrumors regular

iMovie 08+ supports HDV, like the canon hv30.
    /

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

+1. I was never aware that iMovie '08 didn't support it. I don't own any HD video cameras, but I doubt Apple would remove HD video support.

12. kepardue macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm pretty sure HD support never left also. I have a Canon HDV20 and not too many months ago went back and imported all my home movies taken with it since I got it into iMovie '08 at Full HD resolution. Took a while to capture at 1/2 speed, sometimes less, mind you, but it did what it needed to do with the footage flawlessly.

13. dstuck macrumors newbie

HD Export??

Hi,
    I have a Canon HV20 and while imovie '08 could import it (1080i), I could never find a way to save the finished movie back to the camera in 1080i. I save the finished projects back to tape until BlueRay burners are available at a reasonable cost. imovie HD had the option to export back to camera. I have played with the various Quicktime settings and I was never able to get image quality that matched what I got with imovie HD. Apple did not have any suggestions for me either. Mostly issues during motion, like a slight ghost trail or a horizontal line shifts (interlace issues?). Those same ghost issues were there when I exported to iDVD too. Also, you could not find a way to add precision chapter markers in imovie 08. Please let me know if you found a way to get 1080i back to the camera or how remove the ghosts. I sure hope that imovie 09 addressed these issues.

14. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

from what i have read it sounds like iMovie 08 converted 1080i video down to 540 automatically. check in one of your projects and export the video with quicktime. when you set the size to current you get 960x540. exporting anything larger gave me interlace issues

15. walala thread starter macrumors member

Wow I could have SWORN that you couldn't use an HDV cam with iMovie '08. I'm not really sure where I got that idea from.

So wait, is this a major limitation? and will it also be an issue with '09?

16. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i find it to be an aggravating limitation because it throws away half my vertical resolution and some of my horizontal.

i start at 1440x1080i and end up with 960x540 : 1/3 my original resolution.

17. brentsg macrumors 68040

Still wondering if anyone has confirmed how iMovie 09 handles HDV. I'd like to purchase if it does, but cannot otherwise.

18. Half Glass macrumors regular

+1. The loss of resolution was terrible.

I am yet to see anywhere that anyone has confirmed if '09 fixes this issue.

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Could someone explain this to me.

According to Apple's site iMovie 08 handles HDV cameras, and I have imported many HD .mov files into iMovie 08 and exported them at various HD resolutions.

File - Import Movies - Import as 1920 x 1080. No loss of resolution.

20. Tummy macrumors regular

I use a Sanyo HD1010 and it opens my clips just fine. 1080p and 720p. I can export using the normal quicktime settings. In 08 it had to convert to the Apple Intermediate Codec, but this version just opens the file and generates thumbnails. No loss in quality and much faster. Though still slower than using screenflow for example for basic edits.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

First off, anyone wondering about their specific camera should look at Apple's notes on camcorders.

Other than that, I don't know why people think iMovie can't do HD. I don't use it much, but whenever I feed it HD footage it seems to work just fine.

It asked me if I wanted to down-size the video when I imported it.
    I told it 'no.'

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

1080i only contains 540 lines in any one frame. Maybe that has something to do with it. I would doubt that iMovie would deal with interlacing.

That said, how does it go from 1440x1080 to 960x540? The aspect ratio is not the same. Does it cut off part of your video or distort the image? Something seems wonky with your numbers.

23. Tummy macrumors regular

It stretches the image on playback.

24. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

Honestly i can not remember where i got 1440, must have gotten it confused, but here is what happens in 08:

i select to import the video at full resolution, and when i go to export the clip it says that the current resolution is 960x540

edit: sorry pics are reversed

Attached Files:

• 540.jpg
      540.jpg
      File size:
      228.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1080.jpg
      1080.jpg
      File size:
      274.9 KB
      Views:
  25. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

THERE WERE problems with HDV camcorders and HD in general with iMovie 08... I want to know if this continues with 09. Here is a thread from Macworld...

" Quote:<hr />

Quote:<hr />
    I just finished importing and editing HDV video in beautiful 1080 full resolution in iMovie '08. What, exactly, was the basis of your statement about the unusability for HDV camcorders? You seem quite upset and aggressive about a fact you don't even have straight. Let this news be good news for you.

<hr />

Wow! Your experience runs exactly contrary to what Mike Curtis wrote in this iMovie review. Let me refresh your memory:

Quote:<hr />
    For interlaced video such as DV and 1080i HDV, iMovie now uses single-field processing. This means every other horizontal line of the video is thrown out, which reduces the sharpness of the footage. High definition (HD) footage is processed internally at 960-by-540 pixels at most, and thats not as high resolution or sharp as it could be (and was in prior versions), but with the output from many HD consumer cameras, the visible difference between Full (1,920-by-1,080) and Large (960-by-540) will likely be slight to negligible for most users. In short, if you want maximum quality output from an HD device, dont use iMovie 08.

<hr />

I don't think I was being excessively harsh. I do have my facts straight. iMovie '08 lost 1080i HDV editing and that defeats the purpose of owning a 1080i camcorder. If I wanted to produce SD video I would have bought an SD camcorder.

<hr />

Strange how I am editing in something besides 480i, which is what you said. Even the article refernces a higher resolution that 480i.

PS - just opened up the file I imported and edited in iMovie in quicktime. Check the video settings - 1920 x 1080 and the single-field toggle is unchecked. Looks like full HD to me. What is the basis for this single field editing at 960x540? I am just not seeing it in the footage I am working with.

Edit: I just did some additional searching and played with exporting clips from iMovie '08. It appears that it will indeed import at full native HD, but the internal processing indeed appears to be limited to the 960x540. My basis for this is that when selecting 'export to quicktime' video that was imported in full 1080 HD has a present for size that says 960x540 (current), which makes me believe that as soon as you drag a clip to the timeline area, it does indeed work with it at a limited resolution. The single field toggle, however, is still unchecked, so perhaps that is for a display to screen only?

Clearly, this limitiation puts the HD editing into the consumer-level only realm. Like any good consumer, the question I was asking was - how will this affect the quality of the finished edit, given my consumer level HDV camcorder as input? So I took the native 1080 full HD clip unedited and opened it in quicktime, and did the same with the exported clip at 960x540. I opened the full HD to full size, and doubled the size of the 960x540, to make them the same size on my monitor. Making sure the high-quality playback was toggled in both, of course. I'll be darned if I can tell a difference between the two, even on a still-frame by frame comparrison. Of course, the real question is how does it look when played back to my TV - for this I'll have to wait until I have an HD TV, but for now, as a comsumer-level hoobyist with a consumer-level HD camera, I'm satisfied. I am also a little relieved at the ability to import and store all my footage at the "large" level or 960x540 at 12 GB an hour, becuase I was getting a little worred what I was going to do with all my footage at 40 GB per hour!! "