iMovie '09 horrible export quality

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GA84, May 21, 2009.

1. GA84 Guest

Hello all,

I recently bought a Canon VIXIA HF11. The HF11 is an amazing AVCHD camera and the recordings are of amazing quality. I shoot all my video in 1080p25 which looks great.
    I import the clips via iMovie '09 at "Full - 1920x1080" import settings and iMovie '09 creates a .mov file (1920x1080 with with an AIC video stream and Integer (Little Endian) audio stream) in my Movies folder.

The imported files looks great in iMovie and they look great when I play them with QuickTime after revealing them in Finder.

The only problem is that the clips look horrible when I export them with iMovie '09 using the "Export using QuickTime" menu (no stabilization or editing applied).
    The clips however look great when exported with QuickTime Pro using the exact same export settings as I used when I exported them with iMovie '09.

I used these export setting in both iMovie '09 and in QuickTime Pro
    - Movie to Quicktime Movie
    - Compression: H.264
    - Quality: High
    - Key frame rate: 24
    - Frame reordening: yes
    - Encoding mode: multi-pass
    - Dimensions: 1920x1080
    These are basically the default settings for exporting to a 1080p Quicktime Movie.

When comparing the two output files there is a world of difference in image quality. Even though the same source file was used and the exact same exporting settings where applied, the QuickTime Pro exported movie has far a superior image quality than the iMovie '09 exported movie.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: The exact same story goes for clips I shoot in 1080i50.

2. xStep macrumors 68000

I wonder if your issue it what is mentioned at this Apple Discussion; DV Video Quality. If you believe this is the problem, let Apple know and refer back to that discussion.

Another setting is Data Rate. Leave it at Automatic.