iMovie 09 Image Stabilization

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zali0n, Jan 29, 2009.

1. zali0n macrumors regular

Has anyone given this a go yet, do you know if it makes any difference to the quality, does it get reduced?:confused:

2. SimonMW macrumors 6502

Quality will always be reduced when using this type of filter. What they don't point out in demos is that if your camerawork is moving a lot there is motion blur, and this cannot be removed by stabilisation software or filters. So you often end up with a more steady shot, but odd looking motion blur even though the camera doesn't appear to be moving much!

So stabilisation filters should only be used as a last resort. Just use a tripod or learn how to hold a camera more steadily.

3. kepardue macrumors 6502

Hah, holding a camera more steady isn't something that can necessarily be learned! Depends on how much of a coffee addict you are.

Since analyzing for stabilization doesn't dramatically use up more disk space, I'm having iMovie analyze all of my home video for stabalization... really neat that it only creates a stabilization analysis file, which (I assume) makes it instant to turn up, down, or off stabilization. I figure that it's better to have and not want than want and not have.

That said, it's taking FOREVER to process. I've got several videos copied over from VHS-C from 1999, about 4 hours worth, and it's taking about 56 hours to do. I accept that it's going to take dramatically longer, but I'm thinking that perhaps the analog noise in the VHS-C captures might be causing the analysis to take longer than it will my other clips?

4. darksting macrumors newbie

I have played with it on a couple of clips. Personally i think it does a pretty good job. While i am not professional enough to tell you if the actual quality is significantly reduced, in my opinion the percieved quality is far better after stabalization because if the camera is shaking you just don't see the quality thats there.

I tried some other stabalization software a year ago or so, and was really not impressed, wouldn;t bother using it. However it looks like Apple stuck some decent maths in I movie 09 and I am very pleased with it.

5. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Use a mono pod to keep your camcorder steady. Works very well.

6. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

the best way to stabilize footage and not getting rid of quality is in after effects.

imovie crap is bullsh*t