Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igreggor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
So I just installed iMovie 09, and to my surprise it is running very slow compared to iMovie 08. When I launch iMovie 09 - it will freeze for a bit, then crash. This will happen when I try to click anything on the Menu Bar.

Also, All of a sudden it doesn't recognize .MOV files for import from my Kodak Zi6. I have importing these files in iMovie 09 for a long time, and all of a sudden it is not working.

I also have issues with the 720p clips. When added clips from the Events to the Project pane - it will have a difficult time rendering the HD quality, and freezes after every attempt to move a clip. Sometimes when it doesn't freeze, the event section just scrolls up to the top after the clip has successfully made it in the project.

Also has anyone had the issue where if you select a clip in the events, and click the Space bar that it will not play the selected clip? It just plays where the cursor is (at the end of the selection).

I know there is a lot of issues here, and I'm not sure if a re-install will help, or I don't know the process of doing a complete re-install. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Please see below for my system specs.

MacBook C2D 2.0ghz (Late 2008)
4GB RAM (Third-Party OWC RAM)
500GB WD Hard Drive (Third-Party)
iLife 09 Installed

jerrycajun

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
iMovie 09 Problems

Hello,

I've been having numerous problems with iMovie 09 also. It doesn't handle my Canon HS100 high def camcorder videos very well, & locks up suddenly. When using iMovie 09 it does the same thing you mentioned where it plays the video where the cursor was last, but not the following frames. I know this is a new
update & Apple will have to work the bugs out, but if anyone has any suggestions how to overcome these issue, please let me know. I've spend many hours working on a presentation & now I've lost a good bit & will have to redo.

Thanks
J

ghoztman

macrumors regular
May 23, 2008
Switzerland
I too am having similar issues. It's much slower than '08 and nowhere near as stable. My clips get stuck, play in a loop and stutter. Also, my MBP is running as hot as your mommas snatch.

It has a problem with applying settings to older clips.

It needs updates, that's for sure. Otherwise I am liking the new features and finer tweaky things it has.

diamonddaveia

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2005
last night, imovie '09 was working perfectly.
I then was dragging a small clip over top one layed down and testing out the many features lie replace till end or clip or something and it seemed to do it but then all hell broke loose.

My imovie started acting up, i couldnt skim , or i could but no skim bar. no mouse, seemed gone. but when i moved around screen it seemed skim bar and mouse are working, odd, then i tried swapping the project area with the clip area, and it was acting odd and like it wouldnt update the screen, (Refresh), i also would click on Projects, see the list slide out to the right and immediately slide back in. all is totally messed up now.
i restarted, reset PRAM, ran a repair permissions on my drive , removed the imovie prefs file , all no luck.

now i cant even worl with imovie , also if i resize my imovie screen most of whats on screen is white and like its never refreshing anymore.
iMovieMessedUp.jpg

pennhogwild

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009
I'm having issues with imovie 09

Did you ever figure this problem out? I'm having the same problem with imovie 09. I place a "picture in picture" file and the whole thing freezes up, have to force quit to end session. Need help.

last night, imovie '09 was working perfectly.
I then was dragging a small clip over top one layed down and testing out the many features lie replace till end or clip or something and it seemed to do it but then all hell broke loose.

My imovie started acting up, i couldnt skim , or i could but no skim bar. no mouse, seemed gone. but when i moved around screen it seemed skim bar and mouse are working, odd, then i tried swapping the project area with the clip area, and it was acting odd and like it wouldnt update the screen, (Refresh), i also would click on Projects, see the list slide out to the right and immediately slide back in. all is totally messed up now.
i restarted, reset PRAM, ran a repair permissions on my drive , removed the imovie prefs file , all no luck.

now i cant even worl with imovie , also if i resize my imovie screen most of whats on screen is white and like its never refreshing anymore.
iMovieMessedUp.jpg

gitarzysta

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2008
Did you ever figure this problem out? I'm having the same problem with imovie 09. I place a "picture in picture" file and the whole thing freezes up, have to force quit to end session. Need help.

I seem to have similar issue:

I bought iLife 09 and upgraded my 08 installation to iLife 09.
Now imovie takes forever to refresh screens, change events, skimming is out of question! As an example, delay between a mouse click and reaction is 2 minutes or so!

Do you have any idea what may be going on? I have 3.06 GHz Intel iMac, 4 G RAM - hardware is more than suitable to run imovie 09.

My iMovie version: 8.0.3

bryantpcopeland

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
I seem to have similar issue

X2

I've been searching for answers to almost an identical case. iMovie window cant be dragged bigger or smaller, cursor can't click on anything, can't bring up music/pictures/transitions on bottom right of the screen, project menu slides out and immediately back in, my main audio track for my project disappeared and I can't do anything about any of this stuff!

EXTREMELY frustrating...

Is there not a single person with an answer???

gitarzysta

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2008
Bryan, my problem has gone. I noticed iMovie generated a lot Of disk traffic and CPU usage. So I guessed it must have been doing something in the background. And indeed. I left my iMac on for a night and have no more performance issues since. I have no idea what iMovie was doing, though.
Sorry for any typos. I am using my mobile. And I'm not a native English speaker :)

Zeo

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Got the same issue...

How ever I think I have fixed it, I too could not use IMovies it would crash or all the options like project bar would open and close, event viewer would not scroll or allow me to choose a day and no luck on using extras like titles...

I had just near 200GB worth of video footage and I've now deleted all of it and now the issue has gone away and working super quick, I don't think IMovies can handle a lot of video footage or at least can not handle storing that amount.

theMOFOSHO

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Green Screen issues in imovie 09

When ever I try and use the green screen tool in imovie 09 all i get is a black screen. I follow the direction exactly every time, I pick the background I want and put in the project, I then select the green screen video I recorded from an even and drag it over the image in the project and the menu pops up, I select green screen then it starts to render then, tada...a black screen in the preview window.

I called Apple and the guy on the phone didn't know how to correct the error and he told me to go into an Apple store and see if they can help me at all.

Does anyone out there know what is going on and how to fix this problem?

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
This is an old thread but I was having the same problem with iMovie 09 as I started working on bigger and bigger projects. The video playback on the iMac Core 2 Duo I was using became very laggy and slow to respond in the Edit Project window.

Solution was to go into iMovie Preferences, and unclick a number of Browser Options such as Always show active clip badges, Always show clip durations, etc. Not sure which of the bunch triggered this but the playback improved dramatically.

This may still help someone, I hope!:)

poh

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
I echo what ctakim said here... I tested uncheck all the options at Browser OPtions under preferences of iMovie 9, it is more stable for me now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.