iMovie 09 .mov AIC format, how to transcode to it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gps, Jan 25, 2010.

1. gps macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I would like to ask your help for a little issue I'm having. I'm sure it will be possible to do that, but I don't know where to start.

I have a lot of DV files and H264 files (.avi) coming from different cams. What I noticed is that iMovie once you import these files, is processing that file in a preferred format, which is a QT .mov with an AIC codec.

So, I was looking for a software or an encoder able to convert my different sources (DVs, which are taking a lot of space) and the H264 with this AIC (Apple Intermediate Coder) in a batch way. So I can leave my MBP doing the dirty job and facilitate the editing work later on (it seems that iMovie is more responsive using this format).

I tried VisualHub, Handbrake, VideoMonkey, ffmpegX, but seems that no one of them is able to transcode to AIC.

Do you have any other idea, solution, alternative I can try?

Thanks
    gp

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You can try Voltaic. I haven't used it, but I know others on these boards have. Not sure if it does batch conversions, though. If not, then you are better off just using iMovie and doing it one-at-a-time.

3. onejed1 macrumors newbie

I use Voltaic HD. Does the job, and it does do batches. You basically queue up your files that you are converting and it will get through them all.

4. gps thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! I'll test it and let you guys know...

BTW. Is it possible with the open source softwares like Handbrake or VideoMonkey to leverage the QT settings/codecs to convert to AIC directly? It should be possible, even if I'm not enough expert to begin this kind of adventure. (Also ffmpegx should be able to...? Or am I wrong?)

...and, thank you so much for your prompt answers...