iMovie ('09?) or iMovie HD better?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iceblade, Aug 16, 2009.

1. iceblade macrumors member

I've searched for a download for HD to just decide for myself, but it seems that it no longer exists anywhere that I trust to download it. So my question is, should I even put the effort out to find somewhere legit to download it?

I got my macbook pro 13 in. last week. I'm a senior in highschool, and for one of our senior English projects, we have to write a movie script... And then shoot it, edit it, the whole bit. I was prepared to do that in iMovie '09, and it seems OK, but if iMovie HD is more powerful or easier to use, then I want to use that. Are there any important features I will be missing just using iMovie '09?

I've read that if you still have old install discs from old systems, you can get imovie off there. I might have those discs somewhere, but this is my first mac that was ever mine first, so I'm not sure if I can find them. My dad gave me old ibooks when he upgraded, but he never kept track of the books and discs that came with them very well, so I may not be able to find those discs.

Thanks for your help!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

iMovie HD is no longer available from Apple's site as far as I know. You'll need to buy the old iLife if you want it at this point.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

iMovie HD has the more familiar timeline interface. iMovie '09 has something similar, but it simply isn't as powerful or as easy to understand.

iMovie '09 is meant for something short and simple. iMovie HD was built for being a little more advanced. And once you want even more power and flexibility, check out Final Cut Express.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

'09 supports more codecs and is easier to use - if you aren't already used to timeline-based editing.

If you are more comfortable with timelines, then just go for FCE. It supports much more, and works with plugins.

5. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Are you implying piracy of Jobs' beautiful software? :eek:

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

If you've never used either, iMovie 09 will be fantastic for you.

It is plenty good for what you describe, and very easy and intuitive to use.

-Allen

7. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

iMovie '06 HD is in my opinion, the best iMovie made. But then again Final Cut Pro is 100 times better than the iMovie series. Definitely worth thinking about getting FCP.

8. rbarnes macrumors newbie

i hate imovie 09

just got a new macbook pro - hate imovie 09. cant seem to edit anything worth shucks. I edit segments of flip video into movies like the one at avondaleestates.com. I would rather switch to my pc desktop and sony prod than spend a bundle for more mac software like FCE or pro

i called apple and no imovie 6 is available any longer but I will try to install the imovie HD from a disk from an older mac. I was able to make the movies much easier/better on the old machine and am thinking of listing my new laptop on ebay as its beautiful but a big step backwards for me.