iMovie 09 SD video quality

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by krsnet, Jul 20, 2009.

1. krsnet macrumors member

I have an SD Canon FS10 that captures MPEG-2 interlaced video 720x480 (854x480).

I have FCE4 and have used iMovie since back when it was good (6/HD). My end goal is to play the video on an AppleTV connected to a Samsung 50", 16:9 HDTV.

I've tried many different workflows over the last several days and I still a haven't found anything that gives me a good final video (close to the original source quality). After seeing the video on the TV, I went back and compared the original captured video to the video output so my comments about the final video quality are in reference to the original source video. I don't expect HD quality from an SD camcorder.

I've tried this:

(1)
    Import using iMovie09 directly from camera
    Edit video and share using either "Large" or changing to QT export and using 854x480 as resulting video size.

(2)
    Use either QTPro, JES Interlacer, or MPEG Streamclip to de-interlace and export the resulting video as high quality AIC.
    Import the new video into iMovie09 and do editing on the de-interlaced video.

(3)
    Edit video and export AIC 854x480 video
    Use either QTPro, JES Interlacer, or MPEG Streamclip to de-interlace and export the resulting video as MPEG4 or .MOV with h.264

I have a ton of video shot (we have really young children) that I'd like to be able to quickly throw together and display on the ATV, I just can't live with the video degradation I'm currently getting.

Any ideas on improving the workflow or ways to better the resulting video quality? I've read through the Apple discussions (even have a post there that's gone unanswered) and I am currently confused and befuddled.

2. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

I don't use imovie, so i can only give you advice on your fce.
    I have final cut pro, but there pretty much the same thing. After my work flow, i get probably exactly the same quality or maybe even better.
    This is what i do.

I have a Panasonic GS320 that shoots SD 16:9, 720x480.
    I set my audio/video settings first on fcp then i import my film via "Log & Capture- Capture Clip" in FCP.
    Then i Export it with QTC with H.264 incoding 720x480, with quality on high and FPS on Auto.
    Try that, and see if it comes out better. Hope this helps.

3. iCan2 macrumors newbie

Play close attention: iMovie'09 fun

Okay - we all know that iMovie '09 converts all video on DVD to SD quality. If you want to keep your files looking HD quality use the following settings.

Under "share" look for "export using quicktime"

THEN

select select your export type as a "quicktime movie" - then next window over on the right side look for compressor types.

Select compressor type as H.264 or Apple Intermediate Codex. H.264 is standard for all blu ray films. Usually plays movies at 25-30 mb/sec.

YOU ARE MAKING A HARD FILE OF YOUR MOVIE NOT A DISC!!

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Beats me what the previous post has to do with the original post!

But moving right along . . .

Take a look at this link: http://daz4590.co.uk/wordpress/2008/08/22/converting-mod-files-to-something-a-bit-better/

There's some information there about using mpegstreamclip to convert the Canon files before importing to iMovie. Could be work a crack. Sounds like you'll need to purchase the QuickTime mpeg2 playback component, if you don't already have it installed.

Let us know how you get on.

5. krsnet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That's one of the fist sites I've seen that talked about my specific setup.

I'm not sure about the earlier post either, but I was excited about making a hard file after reading it! ;)