Imovie 09 v8.0.6 No HD wtf?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WareWolf, May 27, 2010.

1. WareWolf macrumors member

This is driving me insane im trying to understand why is it when i try to export videos in Imovie i cant select the HD option can anyone explain to me.

I record a bunch of videos using my Isight in Imovie, everytime i edit my videos and export the videos, they seem to be not even close to HD quality too much pixelated (Nothing crazy but quality sucks). I tried to research this and i heared that in the new Macbook pro's the isight is decent enough to record close to HD quality.

Can anyone tell me why my Imovie wont export HD, how can i record my videos in my Imovie at the best possible quality and so that when i export the quality doesnt suck?

2. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

I'm not an expert at this but I believe you've gotten some bad info... I don't think the iSight is even close to being HD. I always thought they were VGA quality which is about half of what you need to do 720p.

If you want to do HD I would recommend getting a Flip camera as they are supposed to be a cheap HD video cam with good quality.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge can help you further.

3. WareWolf thread starter macrumors member

Thxs for the info. The thing is that i record myself playing guitar and i have an effects pedal hooked in the usb which works as a 'michrophone' in Imovie. If i buy say an HD flip that can handle HD quality can i hook it up to my macbook and when i record from Imovie instead of choosing isight as video input, can i choose the camera that i connected to the mac?

Basicly i need to find some way i could record video in HD in Imovie

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm pretty sure that you can. I think I saw that when I hooked up my old canon it could have worked as my isight camera.

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

Not really. According to Wikipedia:

My research says you need a beefy graphics card to fully exploit quartz due to it's reliance on hardware acceleration. Suffice to say, iMovie is not going to give you access to the raw stream, just the smaller video size - half hat of HD.

6. WareWolf thread starter macrumors member

Cool so what should i look out for if im looking for an HD cam so that i has firewire? Is that the way you connect you cam to the mac? (Ima noob)

7. WareWolf thread starter macrumors member

So i looked around and the Flip UltraHD looks like a good somewhat cheap cam. My question is can i connect it with a USB to my Mac and when recording in Imovie choose the Flip instead of the Isight as a recording device?

Also any other cam suggestions would be great

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Found this on web site:

Tho not a 'webcam', the latest iteration of Flip Video's MinoHD Camcorder is a great addition to your video capture toolkit. This improved Flip mino HD model records in H.264 MPEG-4 format thats more Mac friendly and easier to work with DIRECTLY on your Mac if you need to EDIT in iMovie before uploading. (Earlier, lesser models of the Flip are bulkier, require extra conversion steps). Built-In software can automate uploads to You Tube and other major video sites. All this in a new ultra-slim form-factor barely the size of an iPod nano!! A mobile, micro, on-the-go "virtual webcam".

so... it looks like it but maybe someone here has actually done it...

9. WareWolf thread starter macrumors member

Thxs for the help but yea id love to get extra clarification on if i connect the flip via usb can i use it in Imovie to record directly through Imovie

10. WareWolf thread starter macrumors member

11. pdjudd macrumors 601

Yes, you can do that.

12. WareWolf thread starter macrumors member

Is iMovie going to recognize the flip as another device that can be used as a webcam/recording device. I thought the usb is only used to transfer the videos and that you needed the firewire to use the device as a cam in the mac

13. pdjudd macrumors 601

My guess is that it would depend on the camera manufacturer since not all cameras use firewire. Last time I checked, iMovie can record from an attached camera directly. Cameras have different modes to mount as a drive.

14. WareWolf thread starter macrumors member

But how do i identify a camera that can do that, is there some kind of function that the camera must be able to perform. Is it only if the camera connects to a computer?

15. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

It is my understanding that iMovie will not record video from USB cameras.

However, you can use Quicktime X to record from a USB camera in HD, then import that into iMovie.

16. WareWolf thread starter macrumors member

The thing is that i need a camera that works with Imovie cause i need to directly record through Imovie and not quicktime

17. pdjudd macrumors 601

Find one with Firewire - I know for a fact that iMovie accepts that.

18. WareWolf thread starter macrumors member

Do you know if the HDUltra Flip has firewire?

19. pdjudd macrumors 601

I am not familiar with any of the Flip cameras, but I wouldn't be too optimistic.