iMovie 09 vs Final Cut Express for AVCHD Converting?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by askfareed, Jan 8, 2010.

1. askfareed macrumors member

Hi, i have both programs but i was wondering which would be better to just convert the AVCHD file to MOV?
    I don't plan on editing it, because if i was i would you Final Cut Express.

But at converting which is better?

Also what is the highest quality option?
    And what is the very good quality option, but having the file size smaller?

Would i have to convert to MOV, or is there a higher quality or better file format i can convert to?

Thanks, i know it's a lot of questions, but im a noob to AVCHD and Converting!

2. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

3. bkspero macrumors regular

I think that they are the same

I believe that both iMovie 09 and FCE import AVCHD files by converting them to AIC. In doing that, the file size will grow about 10x in size, but it will play much more smoothly and editing will be faster than it would be as an AVCHD file. If the video is 1080p, it should maintain its resolution during the import. If it is 1080i, it will lose every 2nd line of resolution upon exporting/rendering and become 540p. That is fine for publishing online, but you will see the lost sharpness on a bigscreen HDTV.

If you want to keep your resolution, Final Cut Pro is an option. Or run Windows and use Sony Vegas Platinum, Pinnacle Studio 14.

4. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

ok so i have 1080p, but if i shoot in 1080i i will have to use fcp to import it, how would i make sure the resolution isn't halved?

Also with 720p footage will i have this problem?

5. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

6. bkspero macrumors regular

FCP and 720p

There is some guidance in the iMovie forum on the Apple website regarding how to translate 1080i to a progressive format prior to importing it into iMovie and FCE. FCP has Apple Pro Res, which I believe will allow for the intact import, editing, and rendering of 1080i AVCHD files.

I believe 720p will import into iMovie and FCP as 720p AIC. That means no loss of resolution, but a ca. 10x inflation of the file size.

7. askfareed thread starter macrumors member