iMovie 1.1 released iPod Touch 4th Gen. (still no ipad support :-( )

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by melman101, Sep 8, 2010.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Why is this topic title in an iPad forum? I'll tell you why. According to Gruber and ifixit, the new iPod touch only has 256MB of RAM. So to those who thought that it wouldn't run on the iPad because of the RAM, I don't think that's the reason.

Whatever the reason, I just wish Apple would give us a clue on whether or not they will port this to the iPad :)

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Because there's no camera on the iPad :rolleyes:

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

It's not on the iPad because the iPad lacks a camera. Granted, you could put videos onto the iPad via iTunes, but that would mean that they are on your computer. For that, they make Macs and iMovie :)

4. TangoDown macrumors regular

5. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I have tons of imported videos via my camera connection kit :) Come on guys, you wouldn't want to use iMovie on the iPad?

Edit: Come to think about it, why don't we have Ping for iPad yet either? It feels like we are the bastard child of iOS devices.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad. I just wish Apple would show more support for it rather then the initial iWork blowout when the iPad was released. Still no update on the iTunes remote either. I guess you could say it's because of AirPlay but still.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As sky Blue says, and of course because iMovie required ios4 anyway which the ipad does not have.

7. drjsway macrumors 6502a

This is the real reason. Even if they wanted to, they cannot release iMovie for iPad until November.

8. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, maybe that's what they are waiting for.

9. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

So far, I am very impressed with iMovie on the iPhone 4. And this from someone who has used iMovie and Final Cut since their inception.

At the same time, iMovie for iPhone is very taxing, and I cannot help but wonder if it might not make the jump to iPad 1.0 because it only has 256MB of RAM vs 512 in the iPhone 4. Just food for thought.

The app itself would probably be fine, but toss in multitasking and people trying to stream Pandora, DL and app, receive SMS and push email, while editing in iMovie, and you know how that would pan out in the end...

But, yes, the iPad would be a great device to edit while on the run.
    Stay tuned.

10. lozpop macrumors 6502

This is incredible, there are already users keeping saying that the iPad doesn't have a camera and so iMovie wouldn't be useful on it.

What the ...

Now, USERS, explain me this: how a camera on a 9.7" device would be useful to record real high quality videos - not the ones the the iPhone 4 records - against a real HD camera + camera connection kit + iMovie?

This is incredible.. "iMovie on the iPad is not useful because it doesn't have a camera" .. Absurd!

Sanyo HD1000 + Camera Connection Kit + iMovie = the perfect mobile video editing stuff.

Open your eyes, and take a look at the already available app for video editing, which is great: ReelDirector.

Quality is not always given summing more devices in one.

11. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Agree.

I don't care if the iPad ever gets a camera, I have an iPhone and professional devices for that.

But iMovie on the iPad would be very useful.

Holding an iPad up to take a photo/video = awkward IMHO

12. lozpop macrumors 6502

+10

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

How many more times do we get this myth...

If the ipod touch can run it with 256mb of ram, so can the ipad. It is not a memory limitation.

The OP even mentions it (ram) in the opening thread :rolleyes:

14. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

+1also.:)

15. lozpop macrumors 6502

And remember that the iPad has a 1GHz full core. The iPhone 4 is lower clocked processor at 800mhz.

And then, the iPad can already do video editing, check ReelDirector on the AppStore or YouTube.

16. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I'm just dying for iMovie for iPad, because it just seems like it would be so much fun to use. :). I'm praying Apple releases this sometime soon.

17. foiden macrumors 6502a

That's a pretty good reason. Needs OS4. Of course, I wouldn't expect that to release day one. Apple seems kind of busy and isn't the quickest to update an App for the iPad interface. Yes, they finally got around to iDisk, but the Gallery App is still not updated.

On the other hand, yes, iMovie iPad will definitely need a different interface than what's offered on the other iDevices. We obviously expect our multi-panel displays and/or windows as we've gotten acustomed to, for iPad-specific interfaces. They always make the application flow so much better than the small-screen interfaces.

18. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Three reasons why it's not on the iPad...

1. No Camera.
    2. Not on iOS 4.
    3. It only has 256MB RAM.. Funny how Apple let the 4th gen have it with 256MB RAM but they won't let the 3GS have it..

19. TangoDown macrumors regular

Thanks for mentioning ReelDirector.
    I just got this and it does a great job on iPad, effortlessly. I'm sure iPad would/could execute iMovie with no problems.

20. TheXIIIth macrumors member

Schweet!!

Thanks for the heads up on ReelDirector. I checked out their site and saw that they also have an efx app [CinemaFX] as well. I'll be grabbing both when I get home from work. :D

21. lozpop macrumors 6502

The new iPod touch has 256MB RAM and it runs iMovie perfectly.
    And do you really think you need a videocamera on a 9.7" device, that would terrible for recording, when you can import directly through the Camera Connection Kit high quality video recorded on the go with a real HD camera?

Come on.. Let's be realistic, it would be far more better to import videos than recording a video with a tablet in the hands.

22. benledgebob macrumors member

Do you know what would be awesome but I doubt will ever happen?
    If apple released a version of iLife on the iPad it would have to be scaled down in terms of features and stuff but they did it with iWork and I know which of the 2 things I would rather have on my iPad.
    Also I think Imovie will come with the iOS 4.2 in November.:)

23. lozpop macrumors 6502

Well, to include iLife Apple would have to make just a better version of the Photos app, and then release iMovie.

I don't think there will be any iDVD app :D
    And GarageBand should have been totally re-concepted for a touch screen.

Anyway, Steve Jobs — at the AllThingDigital interview with Walt Mossberg — clearly said that he imagines the iPad doing all kind of creative stuff, like editing a movie or other.

The iPad we have today is only the really beginning, the "test" of Apple to understand if there's a chance to succeed with this device. In the next few years I'm sure there is going to be an incredible software jump.