Resolved iMovie 10.0.0.8 trimming video help please?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by keysofanxiety, Jun 23, 2015.

1. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I feel like an absolute idiot posting this, but I've just updated to the new iMovie and I'm stunned with how counterintuitive it is (or how stupid I am). I'm simply trying to trim a clip. That being, I import a clip in, select what I want, and delete the rest of the stuff from the clip. Then I want to export that clip.

I've tried looking at tutorials online though they just don't seem to be applicable. There aren't any bars along the left where I can 'move' the clip or anything.

I've got to the point where I've selected what I want to keep, and there's a green horizontal bar along it. And the bits that I don't want (when I pressed delete) have a red horizontal bar on it. So there's the video clip in Library, with green lines and red lines. I just want to keep the green bits. It's that simple. I'm trying to press delete, tried right-clicking, tried searching in all the menus. Nothing seems to be working. Whenever I select the clip, it's just got a yellow highlight option for the clip. When I try to press crop, it just wants to crop the image rather than the video. I've been desperately trying to figure this out for 20 minutes and my poor computer has been subjected to a plethora of colourful metaphors as a result.

Please could somebody put me out of my misery? I'm sure I'll feel suitably stupid once I have the answer. It's got to be something simple but it's completely eluding me.

Thank you so much for your help. :)

2. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's okay, figured I can just trim it easier in QuickTime. Still no idea how to do it in iMovie. Sorry for being a little frustrated, I hate it when I can't figure out simple things.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You need to put the section of the clip that you want into a Project. You can then "export" it using iMovie's Share options.