iMovie 10 use of OpenCL

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tucom, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Tucom, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015

Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Didn't know where to post this, so I figured I'd try here.

I have a newly acquired 2010/2012 Mac Pro (identical specs as the base 2012 with 16GB RAM before the cylinder came to be) with a Radeon HD 5770 - now I know Final Cut Pro X will use dual 5770's to yield some very impressive results. I plan to get FCPX when I am able, but for now, iMovie.

So what about iMovie 10? Does it utilize the GPU for OpenCL acceleration, which I believe it does, but couldn't find anything definitive, but what is accelerated exactly? And does iMove use dual GPU's like FCPX?

2. larrylaffer macrumors 6502

larrylaffer

I believe a lot of the heavy lifting done in both apps lies within AVFoundation, QuickTime's replacement. Since this is shared among all apps on the OS, effects rendering and things of this nature should be well accelerated.

3. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

I created a project in iMovie and imported some videos. Then I rendered it with the CPU and my eGPU(GT 740). Then I rendered it with just the CPU. The render times were the same. It took ten minutes to render ten minutes of video regardless of whether I used the CPU on its own or along with my eGPU. iMovie 10 doesn’t seem to use OpenCL, or if it does, it’s not benefiting from my eGPU.