Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
any chance I can see this problem on vimeo?
I want to know what exactly is stuttering.

Good news,

Putting it into FCPX worked. The movie is smooth as ever. However, transferring the project from iMovie 11 to FCPX reduced the project quality to below HD. I am going to just remake the project in FCPX and see if it works.

On a side note. I took it to the Genius Bar today at the local Apple Store. They tried to roll back the driver to the previous update. Did not work. It appears it's happening on clips that are around 2 seconds. I generally slow those down to about .75% of normal speed in order to make it about 2.5-2.75 seconds. However, with FCPX the clips worked just fine.

The Apple Techs were at a complete loss and tried to look up forum posts to find a solution. They found nothing. Except this post. So, we are back to square one.

A friend of my husband told him to try exporting from the camera to a separate folder instead of the camera directly into iMovie. Then Upload from the folder to iMovie. Apparently he read somewhere that was a solution. If remaking in FCPX doesn't work, i'll try that.

That is currently where I stand right now.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Good news,

Putting it into FCPX worked. The movie is smooth as ever. However, transferring the project from iMovie 11 to FCPX reduced the project quality to below HD. I am going to just remake the project in FCPX and see if it works.
That part I dont know much about. I dont even have iMovie on any of my systems to test. When you say it worked, you mean the stabilizer is fine in FCPX right?
But can you export it is the issue.
Have you tested by sharing to QT or Vimeo?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Wow....

I'm not an expert with iMovie either (used the old '06 version pretty extensively but not so much the recent editions). I did, however, encounter some very odd issues a co-worker had with her iMac (one of the first generation of Intel CPU white iMacs) using iMovie and iDVD.

Basically, she was having issues where projects in her iMovie wouldn't import properly into iDVD, despite repeating the exact same process she had always used successfully in the past. Even if you tried to simply drag and drop one of the files onto an iDVD template on the screen, it would act like it wasn't a valid file to drop in a drop zone.

As she was still on OS X 10.4 Tiger, I convinced her it was probably worthwhile to upgrade to Snow Leopard and iLife '11. Well, I did the Snow Leopard upgrade, which appeared to go fine, and followed up with a new install of iLife '11. After that, her machine started randomly freezing up with the spinning beach ball, to the point it was almost unusable!

I ran Disk Utility and did a repair permissions, but it found nothing of note to fix. I started suspecting bad RAM at that point so put new DIMMs in it. No help! Finally, I tried the "PRAM reset" procedure, holding down CMD-OPTION-P-R until it chimed several times in a row. I really didn't expect this to do anything useful but I was out of ideas!

Well, amazingly - all the freezes stopped. I let the machine run all night long doing a Time Machine backup and it was still fine the next morning! Then I tried out the iMovie '11 and iDVD combination and that worked properly too, EXCEPT for a weird issue with iDVD complaining that one of the templates was missing a file. I deleted iDVD out of the Applications folder and reinstalled from the iLife '11 disc again. Problem solved and the iMac has been working fine for her for several weeks now!

So what's the point in me telling you all of this? I guess only that I've learned some of these odd issues can turn out to be caused by relatively minor stuff (like needing to do a PRAM reset!), and simply deleting the troublesome app and reinstalling a fresh copy again. I don't know exactly where iMovie '11 keeps its configuration files either, but I'd look inside the Library folder inside your home directory for those and delete them along with the app itself, before reinstalling, to make sure the whole thing is reset.

Aurora91

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
iMovie 11 and Stabilization

Yes, i've tried iMovie 11 for a long time and i think it works not so well, sometimes it exits automatically, but it's more powerful than iMovie 09 or iMovie 08.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Im curious as to what you folks refer as to shaky?
Do you mean the camera shaking (Cloverfield or Blair Witch).
Or do you mean interlacing where you see lines across moving objects specifically horizontal lines?

sashapave

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
I'm just now trying to find a solution as well. So far no dice!

Same issue: Once videos go through iMovie, they get jerky and shaky.

Here's an example of a straight drag/drop upload from a raw file. Shot on my iPhone 4s, no editing, stock settings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OAS5ZulAHs

Here's the same movie exported from iMovie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coLFtffVtSI

It's really weird, almost seems like the right half of the movie is more jumpy than the left.

Any hints?

Machine: MacBook retina, all current software straight out of the box.

Thanks in advance,
Sasha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.