iMovie '11 Crashes in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by WILLDOGS, Aug 13, 2011.

1. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

Hi all

9 out of 10 times iMovie will crash on me while Exporting video after creating a project. I have been going nuts with this for the past couple of days so I decided to clean install Lion onto my imac and the first and ONLY thing I installed was iMovie. It was going great until the very end of the export where it crashed again.

I am on a late 2006 Core 2 Duo iMac running Lion with 4GB RAM. While exporting I am keeping an eye on RAM, Processor etc using Activity Monitor and... and they are all fine. While exporting I still have about 1.80GB of Available RAM.

Here is my crash log, i'm really hoping someone can make sense of it?! Any help is appreciated!!

If you need more of the log let me know, but I don't want to fill this whole thread up with log text if not needed.

2. ducman900 macrumors newbie

Same thing...

I am experiencing the same thing since upgrading to Lion. I've applied the update as well and still iMovie is crashing.

3. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

I have iMovie crashes, but only when it's idle. If it's open and I'm not using the computer, I'll come back and iMovie has crashed. I haven't had a crash with exporting. The last time, however, iMovie did not crash, so I don't know what I did to make it stop. You can try repairing permissions.

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

5. Peace888 macrumors newbie

Hi For me it is just crushes on start up. What do i do? Does iMovie have some kind phone support?
    It started to happen on LION

6. Bert0364 macrumors newbie

I'm still using iMovie 9 and it crashes while trying to Export a movie but also when trying to playback a project Fullscreen. :(

7. ugp, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I am having this same issue now that I started using iMovie. Just iMovie does this. I can leave iMovie open and come back at some point later and it crashed. Every single time it will do this. Seems to only crash for me when the App is sitting idle.

UPDATE:
    I removed all my Events I had to an separate folder and started fresh with some new events and iMovie has yet to crash on me at all. There seems to be a bug in the events. I haven't tried adding them back yet one by one to see which it is yet though.

UPDATE:
    iMovie is still crashing on me. Fresh clean install of iMovie. Brand new events and projects. This time it's crashing while working on a project.

Update:
    Fresh clean install of Lion and of iMovie and it still crashes. This has to be an issue with the two.

8. MacCobra macrumors newbie

solution

I had the same problem. It was solved when I renamed my aperture library so iMovie will not find it. Bam it stop crashing and doing great even without restart. To be sure and reused my Aperture library and again it crash exactly like before. So if you use iPhoto try the same. I am not sure why that is happening but it solve the problem.

9. ObuckiO macrumors regular

Running Lion on Late '08 MBP: I would like to know what plist file's i should trash, and the other 2 programs (VDJ & ClamXav) i don't know how they got in my iMovie 11 Library(home) window. I still use Virtual DJ, but the ClamXav was only downloaded for the first time a couple weeks ago, which read No problems at all(in case that mattered), and will manually delete that later.
    I'm pretty much sure i can just move them 2. i was more interested in some advice on this screenshot.
    Sorry if it's too small, but the redline is the 2 other programs i mentioned and the crappy looking censor bars covered my info.
    BTW: In another part of imovie in finder, i probably have 30 cache folders, few Data and about 10 thumbnails folders if that is not normal???
    Why? iMovie11 seems to crash mostly when i'm trying to add a cut out, and then adjusting the Opacity and such. For the most part..it runs great. I might get a crash once per 1/2 hour of editing. I used this link to follow before i posted, but still crashs. So, i would greatfully thank some help for this glitch i made.

Attached Files:

10. spike13 macrumors newbie

How to rename aperture library?

@MacCobra - stupid question, but can you walk me through the renaming of the Aperture library so that iMovie can't find it? I'm unclear if just any new non-default name will work or if there's something special I need to do to hide it from iMovie.

In my case, iMovie is crashing. Tossing prefs seems to resolve the problem until the next crash. This is the first time I've used iMovie so I don't have any extras or tons of stuff in it, just some iPhone video.

Much appreciated for more detail - thanks!

11. ObuckiO macrumors regular

Since the last post i put above, I might have narrowed down the issue. I am importing a clip from Youtube (ClipGrap to MPEG 4), then dragging it to desktop to change .mp4 to .mov (hopefully a lil more imovie11 friendly). Anyhow, if that helps at all..I drag into imovie, and all plays good, just, when i try to use any portion of the clip as a "Cutaway" it crashs every time. The other clips/pics that are the other half of the cutaway are shot with my iphone4 (.mov- JPeg). The crash's happen after adjusting Opacity and Cutaway Fade then moving mouse arrow over the project window. It all will play after each crash, I just don't want to waste all the work..And then (maybe) not be able to export/finalize it.
    Bottom line: Am i trying to do to much with non-compatible videos?
    I'd Appreciate some clues on this issue. Thanks.

12. butter pecan macrumors newbie

problem with Imovie upload

when I plug my camcorder into imovie only uploads video. no audio. I am using lion. the video format is m4v.
    I have used this same camcorder before with snow leapard and it uploaded perfectly. Video and audio. whats up with this. i went to my sons mac which is not lion and it uploads perfect in imovie.
    is there an upgrade I missed or what?