imovie 11 editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by brandcook, Mar 12, 2012.

1. brandcook macrumors newbie

I recorded footage with two video cameras and I want to know how to cut from one camera to another at with precision as I edit. Anybody know how to do this.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

In FCPX there's multi cam ediiting. So you can play both videos and then live choose which on makes the cut.

You can also layer in FCPX and edit parts out from the top video layer.

iMovie doesn't have multi cam, nor does it have real layers. There's a possibility to add a video over top of another one. You could then cut out pieces, but I think that will be horrible in execution.

I would just drag and drop the parts from each video into the timeline. Then use the precision editor to make them connect to each other properly. Still quite a hassle.

Pherhaps there's a better way, but not that I know off (I'm not that familiar either with iMovie).

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I had a question about this too. I'm trying to select clips from two different cameras but it's nearly impossible to keep them in sync in iMovie because, as far as I can tell, there's no way to reveal the timestamp as you rollover your footage. If I could at least tell how far along I was while scrubbing, then I could manually select the (more or less) exact clips I need.

Oh well, time to download the trial of FCPX and see how I like that. I have a feeling my wallet is soon going to be $300 lighter...