iMovie '11: Event library too big?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mobile923, May 1, 2012.

1. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

I'm editing a project on iMovie '11, on a 2011 MBP 13"... It's a horror film I shot all on VHS about 10 years ago, totaling to 12 tapes used for production. I captured all of the footage (which took a good couple of days!) and now I have 12 hour-and-a-half videos.

Half way through the capture process, I had the first 6 videos in the event library that I began editing and iMovie was fine... Then, after I imported the remaining videos into the same event, iMovie came to a screeching halt. Couldn't play back video in the timeline or anything.

I separated the videos in to 5 different events (Tapes 1/2, Tapes 3/5, etc...) and iMovie seems to have cleared up, but still chokes a bit.

Would moving the events to an external HDD help iMovie run smooth again? Or should I have made these video captures shorter than 1.5 hours a piece?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Having your Events on an external drive is certainly a good idea. The constant backwards and forwards, that editing involves, on your internal drive is not a good idea.