imovie '11 importing video

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by axeldtf, Mar 30, 2011.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

I am trying to get better at using imovie 11. I am toying around with small clips about 2 minutes long. The first clip that i imported only took a few minutes.
    [​IMG]
    The second clip that i'm importing is about the same length, however it's taking almost over an hour to import.
    [​IMG]

I see that the data size is bigger and the frame rate is more.. but I'm wondering why it's taking that long to import. I am hoping to eventually work with movies from my hd camera that are way longer. Am i going to have long import time with them as well?

2. simsaladimbamba

Look at the FORMAT, the second one uses JV/AVC, which is MPEG-4 as H.264, but it seems to be taking more CPU time to decode, as iMovie needs a proper video format and codec, thus iMovie transcodes the video to .mov (format) using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC).

3. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there something I can do to the file to expedite this process? Or will that compromise the video quality?

4. simsaladimbamba

You could try MPEG Streamclip and export as QuickTime (.mov - CMD+E) and use the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for video ("Compressor") and Uncompressed for audio ("Sound"). Then import into iMovie and choose the MOVE FILES option.

[​IMG]

5. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice! I wil try that.. Would handbrake be able to do the same thing for me?

6. simsaladimbamba

No, as it only offers .mp4, .m4v and .mkv as format and H.264/x.264, MPEG-4 and VP3 as codecs, which are not meant for editing.

7. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks again.. I just don't the have the mpeg-2 playback plug-in. I guess i'll have to buy it. Is imovie supporting 60fps? It doesnt seem like it.

8. simsaladimbamba

Why do you need the MPEG-2 plug in? Is MPEG Streamclip asking for it when opening the JVT/AVC encoded video?

9. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

10. simsaladimbamba

Then you might have to go via Handbrake and then MPEG Streamclip with those JVT/AVC clips, unless you want to pay 20 USD for the component.
    Btw, is the CPU fully used when iMovie imports the JVT/AVC clip? If so, there is no need for external applications, as they would almost take as long.
    As it seems, the JVT/AVC clip is using MPEG-2 as codec, which takes longer for iMovie.
    If you want faster imports, you might need to look for another camera which uses MPEG-4 as compression.

11. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, anytime i use handbrake to convert, eyetv to export or imovie to import the cpu is mostly maxed out.