iMovie '11 missing quicktime component

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by f00f, May 23, 2011.

1. f00f macrumors 65816

f00f

I've just installed iMovie '11 from the Mac App Store. Upon launch it complains about missing a QuickTime component:

"Included with the iMovie installer" eh? Lies. Clearly it isn't, at least not the MAS iMovie copy I received. :confused:

Any ideas where I can find this missing component? Thanks.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. f00f, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

f00f thread starter macrumors 65816

f00f

Right -- I'll probably never need to edit mpeg2 files. It just caught me offguard that a) the component is missing and b) iMovie itself claims that its own installer should have installed it!

And that particular mpeg2 playback component is apparently not utilized by iMovie, but rather an addon for QuickTime itself, that lives in /System/Library/QuickTime/ and is called QuickTimeMPEG2.component. The component iMovie utilizes is called AppleMPEG2Codec.component, residing in /Library/QuickTime/. I don't quite understand why there's two & why the former costs $$, but whatever. *shrug*

A little further digging and I see that the component was updated during the install of com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.6.6.combo i.e. the 10.6.6 update. I should note that this laptop had iMovie installed on it at one point (when I first got it) but was removed, along with some other software, to save space thinking I was never going to be using it. Circumstances have since changed. ;) Bottom line is this component is supposed to be part of iMovie but it wasn't which just seems odd.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I installed iMovie11 from the App store, and I don't remember getting that message, but as you say, I'm not sure why it would come up on installation.