iMovie '11 - Missing QuickTime Components

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by spidey3, Aug 5, 2011.

1. spidey3 macrumors regular

I'm hoping someone has encountered this and can help me.

Here is my timeline of events:
    1. Upgraded to Snow Leopard when it first came out
    2. Upgraded to 10.6.8 when it became available
    3. Upgraded from iMovie '09 to iMovie '11 by purchasing in App Store
      --> iMovie '11 worked correctly
    4. Upgraded to Lion
      --> iMovie '11 fails on startup with the error "Missing QuickTime Components" (see screenshot)
    I have tried:
    • Removing and re-installing iMovie as suggested by the popup (this did not help)
    • Re-installing /Library/QuickTime/AppleIntermediateCodec.component and /Library/QuickTime/AppleMPEG2Codec.component from the Lion distribution - as suggested in some other posts I found on this topic (this also did not help)
    Does anyone have any further suggestions? How do I find out exactly which component is missing?

Spidey!!!

Attached Files:

2. ThaSoulHacker macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same issue. I've followed the same steps. I've yet to find a solution as well. I get this issue playing some videos in QuickTime as well. I've Google for hours and have yet to find a working solution. Anyone have a clue?

3. spidey3 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I saw this suggested at https://discussions.apple.com/message/15827944#15827944.
    Didn't believe it would work, but I tried it anyway and the problem seems to have gone away:

1) Close ALL applications
    2) Remove ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovieApp.plist
    3) Restart computer

Magic! Now it works.

I don't know whether it was the reboot after reinstalling, the removal of the preferences file, or the combination that did the trick, though...

Spidey!!!

4. ThaSoulHacker macrumors newbie

Thanks. That did the trick. Also, removing Perian, restarting, and reinstalling it solved my QuickTime AVI and MKI playback issues. Now my only issues with Lion are the ones that make Lion what it is. Nothing much I can do about that though.

5. bafonso macrumors member

worked!!