IMovie 11 Simple Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djclancy999, Feb 24, 2012.

1. djclancy999 macrumors newbie

So, i am importing movies from an old DV camera into iMovie 11. It is a DV tape camera. I want to import the entire tape into a single file as opposed to separate DV files. I found something on the web saying how to do this by going to the Preferences option, selecting import and then checking a box.

Alas, in iMovie 11 there is no "Import" section fo the Preferences dialog. I cannot find anywhere to set import preferences in iMovie 11. Have these options been removed in iMovie 11?

Question: Where are the import preferences for iMovie 11?

THANKS

DAN

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I don't think that you can do it that way. iMovie splits it's miniDV imports into clips based on the stop/start points on the tape.

Just curious, but why do you want a single clip? If you import the complete tape in one go, all the clips will be in one Event.

3. simsaladimbamba

What about using QuickTime Player to record one continuous file?

4. djclancy999 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I wanted to have archive files on my computer of the tapes sot he kids can watch the whole tape.

I am importing them to the mac using iMovie. I expect there is some other way to import directly to the mac, but have not figured one out without buying something like footbrake.

I can take the dv files and use something like iCoolsoft to combine into a single file, but was wondering if there was a more direct way to do it.

I found something on the web talking about doing this, but I suspect it was for an older version of iMovie.

----------

Can I do this with QuickTime?

Would I lose quality

----------

Can I do this with QuickTime?

Would I lose quality

5. simsaladimbamba

I don't have a DV camera to test right now, but I was able to record a DV stream in QT Player 7 (though it might be a Pro feature), but QT X also has the ability to record from the built-in camera and probably an external camera connected via Firewire.

You will not lose quality.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

So it can. I never knew that.

Exporting from iMovie using the Share menu, either as a Movie, or to Quicktime, will produce one continuous file.