iMovie '11 - version 9.0.1 (1095)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by digipeter, Jan 17, 2011.

1. digipeter macrumors member

:confused:

As a newbie, in my first use of iMovie '11 I encountered something I've never heard of.
    After importing into the Project library an old red discolored ciné film and having it edited in black and white, all clips in the project pane still remain in the same original red (as still is in the event library pane) unless I skim over a particular clip, which then in shown with the correct effect. The other clips keep to be red unless be skimmed over one by one. The in iDVD burned DVD holds the correct b/w effect.

How come? I expected ALL clips to be transformed in b/w immediately altogether.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

iMovie is a non-linear editor, meaning it has Undo. The effect is applied in the output, but isnt added to the original clips.

3. digipeter thread starter macrumors member

Will this annoying characteristic be treated - and solved - differently in FCE/FCP?

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Well, in Final Cut Pro 7 (what I use), all edits appear in the canvas, while clips appear in a different window (called the viewer) (You have 2 Film Windows, 1 for your edited one and 1 for the raw clips, or at least thats how Ive got it), AFAIK its the same in FCE (I havent used FCE4 in quite some time).