iMovie 2013/iMovie 2015 collaboration

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thecounthahaha, Feb 27, 2016.

1. thecounthahaha macrumors regular

Hi,

I've been editing some footage for my sister using iMovie 9.0.9, the old gold and black star. I've just found out she's usiing the purple star version (I assume the newest!) and can't open my 'iMovie Events'/'iMovie Projects' folders I have sent.

How can she open them in the new iMovie. I've spent quite a bit of time sorting it for her and I can't work out how she can even see what I've done...!

We've tried 'show package contents' for both of her imovie packages, but it all seems to have changed...

Help!!

Thanks very much!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

She can't, well, not the Projects anyway. If you have iMovie11(v9.0.9), when you first open iMovie10(that's the latest, v10), then you get prompted to import the iMovie11 Projects and Events into iMovie10. You only get that option once.

The iMovie Events folder from iMovie11 isn't a Package, just a normal folder. If your sister opens her iMovie10 and clicks the Import button, she'll be able to navigate to the folder and import the original, unedited video.

3. thecounthahaha thread starter macrumors regular

Right... ok. So if I upgrade to v10 then I can then send her the file? Also, how would I archive the projects once done? Before I'd just go into the projects/events folders and move them.

I'm also wondering how I can then use my old archived projects again if I don't dig them all out and make sure they are all inside my iMovie before updating. Seems slightly short sighted from Apple.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes. iMovie10 should import all your iMovie11 Events and Projects, and you can then give her a copy of the new iMovie Library file. Rename it to something like iMovie Library2 or similar, to avoid confusion when she opens it.

When she gets it, she opens iMovie then goes File Menu>Open Library. If it doesn't appear in the list she can find it using the Other option. Two Libraries will appear in the left of the iMovie window, hence the renaming.

5. thecounthahaha thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I've updated to iMovie 10 and imported the old projects across in the process.

It's all a bit different to what I'm used to, but seems to be working ok. Thanks!